how to sample like this

drought

hey wats up FP, i gotta question about sampling and any help would be great. So my question is when your sampling how do you take multiple parts of a song that are spread throughout the whole track and rearrange them to fit together. when i try and sample like this the chops that i use dont sound like they fit together. if any 1 knows wat im talking about any help would be great.

thank you,

DROUGHT

Also it sounds like kanye west samples like this for some tracks. For example in overnight celebrity by twista, kanye samples mutiple elements from the track and puts it all together from different strings and piano and vocals throughout the track. so i was wondering how he does this and make it sound cohesive in pitch and sound like it goes together

By sounding well together, Do you mean chops that sound good, as in the fit as a loop? To my experience, its all in the drums fitting together with the sample and lil elements of instruments complimenting each other. And a lot of comes ear training too

You've got to match the tempo of the sample to your drum beat. Its a bit like a dj mixing a record. If the two tracks are out of time it won't sound right.

First u should practice looping....
-getting the :10 to begin n end on beat...
Im pretty sure ur daw has a loop function...
-if it doesnt loop most likely it will clip n wont fit...

Second u should chop watever u want
- somtimes i have 12 chops that sound odd...
I smack pads n wahla... creativity takes control...

Next u can get into pitching n tempo matching
-usually with more then 1 sample being used...but not always

Somtimes it takes a lil eq n fx to bring it all together...
-but shouldnt take fx to make the sampled track coherent...

good luck

Last edited:
I would suggest learning about chord progressions a little bit. You can layer or swap out sections in a loop with different sections in the same song if you match up the chords. It doesn't have to be exactly right as long as it sounds good to you.

working on theory and chord progressions would be your best bet at helping you tie together samples from different parts of a song. Dive into time stretching and if you are layering samples experiment with cutting the lows on one sample/the highs on another

I like to warp a whole track into a perfect tempo before I chop just to get rid of any rhythmic problems you might get. Aside from that, Kanye generally slices a track into lots and lots and lots of chops on a full keyboard. With more options you have more opportunities to find something that works well rhythmically. From there you can go a long way just by EQing each chop and playing with the attack, sustain and release. I think that's really where the difference is made. It seems like a lot of work but you only need to do it for the chops you actually use in the track.

my tips is, listen to the bassline and try not to cut in the middle of one. Always cut at the beginning so every chop will start with your bass line in the right place. Or listen to the drum. Think about the song in term of loops, and try to find where the loop starts and end, or if you hear a sound that you feel could be repeated non stop cause you like it..cut it and loop it.

Or you can just take 2 second cuts,, like in this song https://soundcloud.com/alwaysskilled/as-509 , what I did, I only cut the parts in the sample where the chick is taking her breath between her lines and I placed them on the intro of the beat.

you can do wtv you want as long as it sounds good, is on tempo and make sense.

For the kanye west thing, you gotta cut the sounds you want and then strip the useless frequencies. Like the beat in my signature. I took a loop, then I created three versions of the same loop. One with the low/bass. One with the mid, One with the hi.. so you can play with them after how you want.

Back