How Long

Pheroshuz

How long did it take ya to make a sample beat that sounded good im trin to get my sample game up but gettin frusterated because it never come out good.

my first sampled beat took me 2 days (saturday and sunday) of basically jus loungin around listening and tweaking my main concept was there within like 20 minutes after i got the sample off an old arethra franklin record, **** came out pretty nice to my surprise if you have FL i suggest the wavetraveller its the only thing i use now.....1

well that depends on how good you are on chopping up samples and loops..

the track "baggysound" on the soundclick page in my sig was my very first sample-track and i finished it pretty quickly..

i have been djing for 3 years and playing drums for 14 years before i actually started producing, so i already had a certain feel for timing and such, so it was pretty easy for me to cut a perfect loop

when chopping single loops making it as perfect as possible is most important, where as when chopping a sample up to lots of small samples this is not as important, because you can make these short hits start in sync with your drumpattern

so it all depends on how you want to sample your track (loop or completely chopped up and flipped)

depends on what u call good. some cats swear loops suck i like loops personally some cats swear u gotta find something nobody has ever heard of to be a good sampler i dont. ive made sample based tracks that alot of people like in 10 minutes. it took me a few days to get really good wit samplin once i realised what i was doin. i can make a sample based track in about 10 to 20 minutes in acid.

for looping it didn't take that long, chopping is another story. It took me a while to get chops to sound good with the drums.

If I'm really feeling the sample, I can usually get the meat of the track done in one night. By "meat" I mean the chopped and arranged sample, and some sort of beat, and usually a bassline. After that, it takes me days to add on various instrumentation and stuff to complement the sample. I tweak levels, eq, compression, and effects, all while working on a 2 bar loop. I then make the arrangment, which could take me days, if not weeks, to get right. I actually find this to be the hardest part...I have a bunch of little 2 bar or 4 bar loops, but no actual track arranged out of them.

I also work in spurts...i guess I have spurts of inspiration. I made "Contrition" (click the sig :-) ) as well as another track in the span of a couple of days. That was like 2 weeks ago. I haven't made anything since. I've tried, but everything comes out sounding like crap. :-(

Luckily, I have like 50 dusty records to clean and listen to....maybe something will catch my ear. :-)

sonus said:
If I'm really feeling the sample, I can usually get the meat of the track done in one night. By "meat" I mean the chopped and arranged sample, and some sort of beat, and usually a bassline. After that, it takes me days to add on various instrumentation and stuff to complement the sample. I tweak levels, eq, compression, and effects, all while working on a 2 bar loop. I then make the arrangment, which could take me days, if not weeks, to get right. I actually find this to be the hardest part...I have a bunch of little 2 bar or 4 bar loops, but no actual track arranged out of them.

I also work in spurts...i guess I have spurts of inspiration. I made "Contrition" (click the sig :-) ) as well as another track in the span of a couple of days. That was like 2 weeks ago. I haven't made anything since. I've tried, but everything comes out sounding like crap. :-(

Luckily, I have like 50 dusty records to clean and listen to....maybe something will catch my ear. :-)
y do u take so long on one track? i dunno im not really big on takin weeks on one track i dont even like to go back to old tracks unless im in a block or something. maybe take a few hours away from it but once i close the screen i rarely wanna go back to it.

Xabiton said:
y do u take so long on one track? i dunno im not really big on takin weeks on one track i dont even like to go back to old tracks unless im in a block or something. maybe take a few hours away from it but once i close the screen i rarely wanna go back to it.

If I actually finish a track, it takes a long time. I don't consider myself a perfectionist, but maybe when it comes to my music, I am. I tweak and tweak. I'll work on something for a few hours, run into a "musician's block", put it away and work on it the next day with fresh ideas.

I save any changes I make with a new filename - so I have like mix1, mix2, etc. of every track. It's interesting to go back and listen to how a particular track evolves.

I guess I just change **** all the time and am never satisfied....so it takes a long time. Mixing is a large part of it...all the tweaking of levels and reverb lengths and eq cuts. I mix while I compose, which results in me taking a long time.

:shrugs:

I can't throw something together in 2 hours and be proud of the fact that I did so. For me to be proud of my music, I have to know that I did all that I could to make it sound like I wanted it to.

sonus said:

If I actually finish a track, it takes a long time. I don't consider myself a perfectionist, but maybe when it comes to my music, I am. I tweak and tweak. I'll work on something for a few hours, run into a "musician's block", put it away and work on it the next day with fresh ideas.

I save any changes I make with a new filename - so I have like mix1, mix2, etc. of every track. It's interesting to go back and listen to how a particular track evolves.

I guess I just change **** all the time and am never satisfied....so it takes a long time. Mixing is a large part of it...all the tweaking of levels and reverb lengths and eq cuts. I mix while I compose, which results in me taking a long time.

:shrugs:

I can't throw something together in 2 hours and be proud of the fact that I did so. For me to be proud of my music, I have to know that I did all that I could to make it sound like I wanted it to.
whatever works i guess. id hate to spend that long on one song. thats part of why i dont mix tho I know I should. I try to sit down and mix but cant bring myself to spend that kinda time on one song. By time I am done with one track I will have another in my mind ready to go.

Pheroshuz said:
How long did it take ya to make a sample beat that sounded good im trin to get my sample game up but gettin frusterated because it never come out good.

man usually i'll finish the beat in like 30 min to bout an hour record the bones and what not but i'll come back the next day throw it on the mixer soundcheck everything then run the whole song through a dehisser/denoiser or basically untill it sounds like i would want to jump on the beat full force in the end it just really depends on your preference..........but keep digging

lol that was in FL damn that program is sooo easy to use other than general composing.

edit: i've always been interested in MPCs and at a store i tried to use a 2000xl (i believe) and i couldn't understand what i wasn't doing (probably no samples were loaded in the bank)

Last edited:
bobsmitt said:
lol that was in FL damn that program is sooo easy to use other than general composing.

edit: i've always been interested in MPCs and at a store i tried to use a 2000xl (i believe) and i couldn't understand what i wasn't doing (probably no samples were loaded in the bank)

oh its true man the mpc will take a min. to learn i think it took me almost 3 weeks and i still don't know everythin!!! what fl i was working with fl studio 4. summin but i just upgraded to fl studio 6 and i havn't even tried to jump on that program yet

It all depends on the sample(s). Sometimes I get real elemental and make 5 different tracks of an 8 bar loop or try to squezze out a couple songs out of one sampled song. On average though most beats I've made took me no more than 20 minutes ( on average).

Depends on what wavelength my brain is on at the time.At times, Ill make a certified banger in 15 minutes, while other times it might take me another couple listens to the sample before I freak it proper.

bobsmitt said:
w/ loops and including chopping & finding it this took like 10minutes more or less. If u call http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=503831&songID=3889325
hot then yes.

And actually I don't want to be thought of as a hater, but you can tell what took time and effort and what was done fast.That Millie Jackson has been freaked more times than Action #2, and that was just a straight loop from the intro, not a thing was done to filter it and make it sound a little different nor was no chopping done.
Im not a picky listener who either only likes loops or only likes chops but c'mon, that was just copy and paste intro here, and add drums.That sample was hot when I flipped it back in like 8th grade.

bobsmitt you really need to get your drum game up fam. the clap snare has got to go! lol. dig alittle deeper for some snares kid.

Back