How To Get The Drums Out Of A sample

C

CHUCKDeisel

When sampling you may come across some drums how do you get rid of them so they will no longer in that particular part of the sample you want.

-Feedback Will Be Greatly Appreciated-

some songs u can filter to make the drums lower or not as noticeble but usaully it takes away from the quality of the sample, from wat i know

yeah it is lol, all i really do is mess with the EQ a bit and lay some harder drums over the other ones but not too much cuz u'll just distort ****

crazybeatz said:
what about snare drums....i have a hard time eq'ing those out???

I'd say your best bet is to try and chop on the snare.. and trigger that chop on the 2 / 4 count.. or get it so you can use the existing snare in your own rythmic pattern somehow.

masking / overlaying is the only efficient way that I've found to deal with snares but that doesn't take them out.

you could try panning. older songs you can just take the L or R channel and get your sounds you were after.

If I had to guess, I'd say you just started sampling. What kind of equipment are you working with? When i started, i had a problem with that, but then i moved to different equipment where the drum sounds were so loud it just masked whatever drums were in the sample if you eq the sample down. you won't have much to work with. What kind of sampler are you using...knowing that could help me better in giving you tips on how to manage that drum situation

u can try inverting similar drums over the the existing ones

i remember when i used to wonder the sme thing lol. i think thats the most frequently asked question on here lol

if its an old recording sometimes if you load the sample into a prgram like wavelab you will see that the drums may have been panned to one side. you can then copy the side without drums and have a mono sample! but there maybe other instruments on one side that you may also lose. eq'ing the drums will help a bit but you risk losing certain characteristics in the sample. your best off making use of the drums and layering new ones over the top. or if you got bags of cash like dre you could hire session musisians in to replay the sample how you want it to sound!

sometimes i can magnify the sample and take out just that snare or kick, and you can then blend the 2 parts together.. But like i said SOMETIMES, alot of times that dont work very well.

Usually, when trying to EQ the drums away, you have to fade all the frequencys out and that wont sound to good lol...

Cuz the kicks are the low end, the snares mid or high and hi hats are high. So you see its nearly impossible to EQ the drums away without spoiling the other instruments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Download analog x vocal remover and insert onto your sampler channel this should remove the drums completly out of the track please note this won't work with all songs and u should try and do it with no vocals present

tough luck using a parametric equalizer. mediocre at best results. trust me the only way is to find a clean drum break. if you must try the fundamentals of drums lie within the 100 hertz area.

I guarantee, you remember this...in two months, you won't care...just watch...like my tag says, I started in November of '07 and i cared until I got an MPC 2000 (I previously had an ASR-X with very weak sound) and the drums banged so nasty that I just used them to cover up the sample's drums

It's called Recycle 2.0! It is the best tool to extract drums for becasue you can slice it right where you want it and extract it as a aiff file.

TheLetterL said:
I guarantee, you remember this...in two months, you won't care...just watch...like my tag says, I started in November of '07 and i cared until I got an MPC 2000 (I previously had an ASR-X with very weak sound) and the drums banged so nasty that I just used them to cover up the sample's drums
lol, what?

How is the machine gonna make a difference?

The ASR was old and the sound was real weak. So I had to stack the drums a lot...i was just trying to remember what all was in my head when I was thinking that I needed to get rid of teh drums...to be perfectly honest, some of it was poor sample selection...

Back