How do people get vocals off a sample and how do they sync it with a new instrumental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many ways. But some key things you may want to look into...

•Pitch and key of sample. You can always change the pitch to match or compliment the key your instrumental is in

•Cutting frequencies. If you feel your vocal sample overpowers your beat, cut some of the frequencies out using EQ or low/high pass filters. For example, you can cut everything under 300hz on alot of samples and you will still hear the voice clearly while lowering the presence of extra instruments. Vocal recordings usually reside in the full frequency range but dominate between 300Hz - 7kHz. Try cutting everything under 300Hz and cut everything above 7k for starters.

•Vocals in sync with track. Timing is often very important. Keep in mind where you down and up beats are (kick and snare) and decide where you want you samples triggerd from there.

This is just my opinion from my experience. Tell me what you guys use I am always curious.

I have never heard any song ever where the producer actually separated vocals from the instruments in order to sample it, it just doesn't happen, can anybody point me to a beat/song where this was actually done?

Many ways. But some key things you may want to look into...

•Pitch and key of sample. You can always change the pitch to match or compliment the key your instrumental is in

•Cutting frequencies. If you feel your vocal sample overpowers your beat, cut some of the frequencies out using EQ or low/high pass filters. For example, you can cut everything under 300hz on alot of samples and you will still hear the voice clearly while lowering the presence of extra instruments. Vocal recordings usually reside in the full frequency range but dominate between 300Hz - 7kHz. Try cutting everything under 300Hz and cut everything above 7k for starters.

•Vocals in sync with track. Timing is often very important. Keep in mind where you down and up beats are (kick and snare) and decide where you want you samples triggerd from there.

This is just my opinion from my experience. Tell me what you guys use I am always curious.

thanks bro, i'll look into it..

Hello DirtyThirdBeats. Actually I did not mention separating the vocals from an instrumental to sample it. I mentioned cutting some of the the frequencies in a sample so that it takes up less head room in the mix.

Seperate from this topic, producers/DJs seperate vocals from instrumentals using advanced EQ techniques all the time for remixes. It does happen, here is an example.(i cannot post links yet so youtube this)

[h=1]SchoolBoy Q - Man Of The Year (Acapella)[/h]

I can understand the confusion, we are all writing about sound lol.

These days producers are doing almost anything to get the desired result. Thats whats dope about new music is the experimental value in it. If it sounds good it sounds good.

I have never heard any song ever where the producer actually separated vocals from the instruments in order to sample it, it just doesn't happen, can anybody point me to a beat/song where this was actually done?

You said it better than all.
You cant cleanly strip vocals from a song. You have to find the part of the song with vocals only, or have an A capella.
i.e, Kanye West's Blood on the leaves http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MZ7-ytnOgy0
which samples Nina Simone's Strange fruit http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tqbXOO3OiOs

It's all about EQ. EQ out what you hate. There is also something on fl studio that can do it, but I Forgot the name. You can chose the unneeded noise and it will take it out and the whole song for you. It's not perfect, but enough to get the job done. if you use fl studio. It's in edison lol. so look up how to create accapellas with edison on youtube and hope you land on the video with the technique I am speaking of lol. Good lUCK !

You said it better than all.
You cant cleanly strip vocals from a song. You have to find the part of the song with vocals only, or have an A capella.

Nevermind my last post. I think i just figured out a way to extract the vocals. Try using noise removal tool in audacity (free audio software). Find a part with everything BUT the vocals and treat it as noise, it might erase the intruments and create an a capella.

Nevermind my last post. I think i just figured out a way to extract the vocals. Try using noise removal tool in audacity (free audio software). Find a part with everything BUT the vocals and treat it as noise, it might erase the intruments and create an a capella.

Nevermind... Tried it... Didn't work.
I thought i was on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back