How do I give my beats a lo-fi vinyl kind of sound? Any plugins or VST's?

You can buy some samples for me I have drums with vinyl effects applied AND drums sampled from classic vinyl hip hop records

I personally don't like Bitcrushers on my drums. It makes it sound worse. (I have a Bitcrusher on my sendtrack on volume 25, not very noticable. attached to each mixer-track)
All i do is add vinyl noise underneath my beats.

Vinylator VSTi/Izotope Vinyl/LFX-1310 Vinyl effect in it/Croup Drums Vol. 1 Dirty Stuff Vinyl sounds.
I use all these 4 in every beat. I keep the Vinylator, Izotope and LFX-1310 the same for every beat but just choose a different vinyl noise from Croup's Drums sample-pack in each beat.

Smile by Mark-1988 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Last edited:
if you have an old 4 track recorder that uses tape cassettes you could record the beat onto it than re record it back into your software. may not be a giant old school tape machine but it is tape and it is analogue. ive done this before sometimes it works cool sometimes not so much

rick
prana sound studio

Izotope Vinyl, bit crushing, and (my personal favorite) play a sample via an external source and hold your mic up to the speaker. If you have an old boombox or tape deck lying around, sometimes it helps to run the signal through the inputs and sample directly from the headphone jack. I've also found it helpful to record a sample to an old tape and sample it off of a tape deck that has noise reduction features... I've gotten some nice, warm sounds that way.

I usually find a crackle from vinyl but what to make it easier for you you can just searchfor vinyl on youtube.for FL studios you should try to figure out how to compress your beats.try messaging the vinyl over the beats and then on top of that put a loFi over the master.the lofI in FL Studio should be calledcrackle or squeeze.but if you find it easier just try to find a line over youtube or on a regular vinyl it does matter what song as long as you got the crackle and just put that over Your beat.and with the compression the compressor has got to make the beat go away from the kicks and snares and that's what gives it a smooth effect also

I record crackle from an LP, then loop it over the beat. I also use Decimort (D16 Group) to try to achieve an SP1200-ish sound - sometimes with more succes than others. Decimort even comes with MPC60 and SP1200 presets (and more!). Time Machine (ToneBoosters) is also a DOPE bitcrusher that aims to simulate the sound of oldschool samplers. Then there is a little known gem called Akaizer (Ben Burchett) which is a stand-alone program that can take a .wav file and give it the sound of the old Akai S-series of samplers. It takes some practice to get the settings right, but definitly worth it if you're after that "metallic" sound. Finally, I occationally use TAL-Bitcrusher (Togu Audio Line) for very basic bitcrushing PLUS Odaku 2 (Apari) for making my drums sound gritty (usually slapping it on a send-channel). Vinyl (iZotope) is slightly over-rated IMHO...

EDIT: Actually I've cut down a lot on using bitcrushers, because in the end they never really delivered the result I was after. But I still use vinyl crackle and Decimort.

Peace.

Last edited:
sampling from vinyl would help, for plugins i like decimort like dude just said, it's the best emulator of old samplers IMO, and good tape plug-ins i've tried to get an old sound are u-he satin, nebula3 (even the free version of this is dope, get it) and virsyn v-tape.

Back