Help with drum breaks!!!

djo247

Hello I am new to the site and am a maschine user. I really hope someone can help me out. ive just started making beats and want to start using drum breaks in my tracks, a good example would be how kanye west used the Ode to Billie Joe break in jesus walks.. However I cant figure out how to match breaks with samples. in jesus walks he matched that break with The Arc Choir walk with me sample. Did he chop up the drum break and replay it? Timestretch it to fit with the arc choir tempo? Or did he timestretch the arc choir sample to match up with the break? I tried remaking the beat in maschine and just couldnt figure out what to do. Your help is greatly appreciated

Some other examples that'd be helpful are Get By by Talib Kweli, Throw ya hands by mobb deep.Changed my mind keyshia cole and used to love u- john legend All prod by kanye using the doggone love drum break, but how does he do it?

Trial and error. That would be my best advice. Basically there is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as you get the end result you are looking for. As you wrote, you just started making beats...you'll some tricks in time. Me personally, I will typically chop up breaks, however sometimes, like if I want to use a fast break for a drum fill/roll,, I will likely time stretch to fit the tempo. Maybe someone else has an answer as to how Kanye actually did it, but again my best advice, trial & error. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Honestly I doubt he had both samples on his HD and was like I want this break with this sample its more like I have this sample now I gotta find a break that's around this tempo or vice versa

just make sure the tempo matches, doesn't really matter how you do it as long as the endresult is dope. Experiment!

chop the break -> pitch or time stretch it to fit what you're working with.

Its usually finding a break that has close to the same BPM as your beat and then making it fit, i doubt kanye picked the break first.

Back