Good Sampling Question For You All.

DannyDee

Okay, so we all know how we sample our own stuff, what we like to sample, etc.
I was wondering, since alot of us sample mainly Soul/Jazz/Funk, etc. What do you cut it off at, as in the earliest stuff you will sample.
We mostly sample stuff from early 80's and back before that. But do any of you sample stuff thats somewhat modern? Or do you just keep it to only if it came out on vinyl?

I sample what I sample because I think it sounds good. Just so happens that sound is typically from the 60s and 70s.
If something sounds good to me and is from the 90s or 50s or whatever I'll sample it.

I don't normally sample new stuff except the occasional movie score or maybe something from a video game.

I sample what I sample because I think it sounds good. Just so happens that sound is typically from the 60s and 70s.
If something sounds good to me and is from the 90s or 50s or whatever I'll sample it.

Word, ^^ What he said.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

Right now I'm chopping this 70s jazz sample and I have 30+ (potencial) chops already. Can't see that happening with a current song.

Plus, I mostly look out for tight bass lines, and cool piano and horn riffs, and you don't get that a lot nowadays. Although there's some stuff out there. For example Belle & Sebastian - Funny Little Frog has a killer rythm section, I might sample that.

there is always exceptions, my theory is generally when i see year > 1980, i put it down when digging, to me its when electronic instruments really came into full swing. and im not a big fan of that type stuff... like i said, theres always exceptions tho on different genres, etc.

83 84 use to be my cut off but recently my eyes have been opened to sampling anything cause a dope sample is a dope sample

i'll sample anything as long as something in the song catches my ear and i feel i can make a beat with it. not a big fan of the 80's. in order for me to sample from that era, i have to do some serious digging. i usually stick with mid 60's all the way through the 70's. i just recently sampled something from '03 though. i guess it's just whatever grabs my attention.

Last edited:
depends on what Im sampling. Ill sample rap vocals from any era but as far as chopping loops I like to keep it in the 70s for drums any 50s-80s for melodies but if its dope Ill sample almost anything

Hell, a good source is a good source. Granted I typically tend to sample stuff from the 70's, but last year I sampled a track from Adele, and that was mid-late 00's. I've got a SICK track in the works sampling Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra (YouTube it...fukkin ridiculous IMO), and that's 2007.

Hell, a good source is a good source. Granted I typically tend to sample stuff from the 70's, but last year I sampled a track from Adele, and that was mid-late 00's. I've got a SICK track in the works sampling Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra (YouTube it...fukkin ridiculous IMO), and that's 2007.
i just sampled 2 tracks from ping pong orchestra the other day

This is the truth , never limit our self or we lose creAtivity

Back