Going FURTHER with the sample

MTLK77

Hi guys,

musician for 10 years, been producing for less than a year, especially hip-hop/sampled stuff.

Here's what I'm often facing :

I find a great sample, I make my chops, try to make like a verse or chorus etc... adding a drum beat, mixing it all, but sometimes
I feel like it lacks of something or it's too repetitive. I'd like to go further than just making a 2 bar loop with drums you know what I mean.

How do you face that ?

I'm not really good for example at adding a VST bass to a sample or other instruments to make fit perfectly.

I'm curious about your work guys and I'd like to know how did you evolve in your producing method.

(and sorry for the approximative english)

Last edited:
Instead of just using loops(which will make it sound repetitive)practice chopping smaller.You'll be able to manipulate the sample better and you'll have more options when creating your own patterns.It won't happen over night but with time you'll be able to piece them together seamlessly.

Peace

Build around an acapella. That's what I do. My problem is that I think like you, wanting to do more, but I end up wasting time trying to make it more varied than it needs to be. In the worst case, you might add something that in your mind makes it "better", but actually doesn't sound as good as the original.

The reason I always build around acapellas is when you hear a beat on its own, it's always going to sound boring. There's supposed to be room for lyrics, so boring can be good. Laying the same 2 bars under a whole track then making changes from there will let you just kind of work to a sweet spot.

Build around an acapella. That's what I do. My problem is that I think like you, wanting to do more, but I end up wasting time trying to make it more varied than it needs to be. In the worst case, you might add something that in your mind makes it "better", but actually doesn't sound as good as the original.

The reason I always build around acapellas is when you hear a beat on its own, it's always going to sound boring. There's supposed to be room for lyrics, so boring can be good. Laying the same 2 bars under a whole track then making changes from there will let you just kind of work to a sweet spot.

Yeah I did that some times and it clearly changed the whole thing, made me think like "ok maybe this beat is not so bad, only need a voice on it"

Back