Getting crazy loud feedback from my record player. WHY?

Mr99Music

Not sure if this is the right section (sorry if it is mods), but I just bought my first record player, a used Numark TT-1510. I'm running it through an Audio-Technica phono preamp into my Roland UA-22. One thing I noticed right away, is that when I plug both the left and right cables into my interface, only one of them works at a time. So sometimes it's the left that plays the music, and sometimes it's the right, but they always play both the left and right side of the music. Does anybody have any idea what that's about?

And when it plays, it is really clear but I get a crazy amount of feedback. There's an example in this beat I was in the process of making just now. It's so loud my drums won't even cover it up lol

your description is incomplete - what model number is the phono preamp?

what cables do you use to connect the turntable to the pre-amp? what type of connectors at each end?

what cables do you use to connect the pre-amp to ua22? what type of connectors at each end?

do you have the phantom power turned on for both channels?

have you set the input impedance to mic level or instrument level for each input on the ua22?

serious answers are needed to these questions to get to the bottom of your problem

Im not sure on the real technical side of what you're dealing with like ^^^ will, but i can say that getting a little dj mixer to go from your turntable into your interface would be nice. You can do some EQ'ing and stuff upfront and it has a preamp in it. It'll be nice if u wanna do any scratching too and real easy to set up

so finally listened and you do not have feedback nor do your have a ground/earth problem

welcome to the world of analogue sounds and the crud that appears when you play vinyl (old or new) with an old needle/stylus/cartridge) it is is called crackle and pop and most folks would kill or sell their first born to get some in their pristine digital works :)

how can you eliminate this: you can't!

How can you minimise this?:

1) you could try the old wet technique for playing: apply some alcohol (we used to use aftershave if we had no other sources) to the surface of the record (of course it evaporates rather quickly so does not offer much except at the start))

2) use microfiber brushes to clean the surface of the record and a smaller one designed for stylii to remove any crud from the surface of the needle; you can even get one that attaches the to the stylus assembly and cleans the record as it rotates (dubious benefits as you are effectively scouring the surface of the record with the crud you are trying to remove; like using sandpaper to polish something really)

Last edited:
So after playing with everything for hours straight I realized that the right input on my interface doesn't work :shame: so basically, the first thing I should have checked was the problem. Basically I had the left side playing everything and that's why there was so much feedback and my Maschine was recording in Mono. Thanks for the replies everyone

It's not the snap crackle and pop from the record lol it's like a buzzing sound. I figured out it's from my left input being up too loud having to over-compensate for the other channel that doesn't work. I switched interfaces with my friend and all is well now.

certainly not noticeable in your track - I had it turned all the way up (ca 96db in my listening environment and all I could hear was normal vinyl pops and crackles)

Back