Figuring out when sampling just isnt for you

• Thread starter Reign of Terror
  • Start date
R

Reign of Terror

Right now, i feel like ****...ive been fu*king wit some stuff from my moms downloads using FL studio and Adobe Audition 2, and i think i need to give up sampling. all my favorites producers are samplers and i want to sample myself buy my god, i cant get any inspiration from anything i make. it will always sound ****ty to me so i forget about it and try something else but that neevr works either. What i really want is to be a sampler who can add instruments to his music skillfully, but this **** is making me want to kill somebody. Im literally a beginner at this, and my lack of skill with sampling is really downing me because i want to make producing way of eating at the end of the day, but i want to do it sampling, cause that is where i get my inspiration from. i dont know sorta rantin about this but i just cant flip a thing. what yall think, any suggestions cause im lost. this is making me hate the heatmakers, even though they are one of my favs, those niggas are just doin it for paper and just lay **** for money and not the music, and here i am, struggling to make anything

ah, god damn

First off don't give up on sampling. aquire a vast knowledge of old records first. No wonder your frustrated because your probably only used to making ****ty computer beats(no offense intended). Your mom's taste of music and your my guess probably differ lol. Your best bet is to head down to your local record shop, and start diggin in the crates. By the way you said everything sounds like ****, try chopping your samples in that case.

im not striving for a typical "soundlick beat" if thats what you mean by computer beat. and my moms music is oldies and i like them the same, i dont have a vast knowledge of the oldies/soul (50-70's) but i consider myself somewhat grounded. I just cant make anything sound good, and i hate how Fl only allows for a 6 second sample max

well then invest in..... sampler+records+turntable+pre amp= a party lol

i plan on being a DJ for connects only, it helps the production aspect

not really the recommendation i was looking for but thanks anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I can so relate to that. I Keep trying... Keep practicing... Keep listening. I'm slow here too. But damn the little bits that I learn as I go are worth it. It's sort of weird with me. I start to "get" small tid bits here and there on how I like to do things. On ideas, plans, styles, patterns... I like to get a loop/chops and work on it here and there around my schedule. It's like I try to work on a new loop/chops every week or everytime I have exhausted one. I'll even go back to the old ones...

I'm starting drum lessons at my college tommorow. So I know I'll learn more and have a feel for rythms. Maybe they'll even have decent mics. I can record some nice breaks! Banging on my mpd when I get home will be awesome, I just know it. I'll be inspired.

yo thats a hard situation. the thing is though, its not something you can just pick up and be good at right away. you gotta develope an ear for it.

what you should do is spend some time listening to your favorite sampled tracks. take those tracks, and go on line (the breaks or some other places) and find the OG sample. then listen real closely and try to figure out what the producer did with it.

and watch plenty of beatmaking videos, those help inspire me. http://malefactor.org/beatmakingvideos/
a lot of good ones there.

feel free to get at me on aim, colossus503 if you have any questions. happy to help a fellow producer stay in the game.

its all about persistance though. someday youll look back and be like 'im so glad that cat from trunk thumpaz (thats me) told me not to quit sampling.

on the real though, keep ya head up.

ur trying to hard thats ur problem. Enjoy the music u r sampling and respect it enough to know how to not mess it up. The real skill in sampling is your ear for the samples themselves.

Dawg face it, some people just aren't meant to do something.I pump out tracks, sometimes about 4 a day, and I make sure they are all good.I guess sometimes you have it and sometimes you dont.I do this cause I like making beats and I love oldies, so by me sampling them, Im just giving them a new life through hiphop.Use their soul, to spit some of our soul in the music.

Infamous Josedy said:
Dawg face it, some people just aren't meant to do something.I pump out tracks, sometimes about 4 a day, and I make sure they are all good.I guess sometimes you have it and sometimes you dont.I do this cause I like making beats and I love oldies, so by me sampling them, Im just giving them a new life through hiphop.Use their soul, to spit some of our soul in the music.

me too, but i know Just Blaze was not naturally good at sampling like he is today

I try to tell niggas samplin ain't easy... and it's not gonna come over nite, it might not even come in 1 yr. Every sample is different and presents a NEW challenge, it's completely different than composing. It's an art in itself. If you really want it, you won't give up... cuz I used to get pissed early on too (I STILL do). Question is, do you really want it?

9th Wonder said it took him 4 YEARS to get to the point he is at today.

And FL only 6 seconds of sample time? I dunno what you are refering too. How about sampling elsewhere and importing into FL, you can import songs of unlimited length man.

Last edited:
LEARN HOW TO DJ!!!!!!!!!!

seriously, I haven't even thought of sampling, until I was a decent DJ. Keep producing the way you were, but start learning how to blend you work with others, in a few months then try sampling again. You'll have an easier time, you'll notice are samples are easier to get on beat. Speaking of that, when you sample don't go by a beat clock or any thing else, go by your ear, and make sure you match up the timing. just keep trying, but first learn how to dj, then after you learn the basic, then try samping.

Hey man,
I know what your going through, and it is really tough. But here's some advice that I hope will help.

People think sampling is really easy, I mean, in theory, it is. Find an old sample, drop some drums + bass over it, and wah-la.. wrong.

It's hard working becoming a sample producer, but man once you start getting the hang of it, theres nothing like it.

The MAIN thing when it comes to sample production is PATIENCE. The more you listen, the more opportunities pop up for a dope sample. You've really gotta listen, and then re-listen.

Secondly, a lot of new producers (me included) get frustrated too easily and think, "Why can't I make a beat out of this sample?"
But what we don't realise is that you can't expect to make a dope beat out of any random track from your mums collection. Its gotta be something that jumps out at you, something that inspires you to turn it into a beat. This is such a key factor that a lot of people over look. Don't be put off because you can't make something sound hot straight off, its got to be a GOOD sample.

Thirdly, take the time to train your ear. You might notice around here (on the digging forum) that most of us are collectors. It comes with the territory of beat making. You start to really admire the artists, and after awhile you can tell whats gonna be hot and whats not, just by looking at the record, or checking out the credits on the back.
Listen, listen listen. Do your history, and just take it slow.

Fouth, Keep digging. Don't stop. You said your going through your mums mp3's if I'm correct? Why not invest in a ****ty turntable and a pre-amp or cheap dj mixer, and start digging your heart out. Raid those second hand stores and ****. I go nuts every time I walk into a used-goods store in another town. The more you dig, the more sounds you are going to have to work with, and this is what a lot of new guys forget/don't know. You've always gotta keep looking for that "wow" sample.

Hope this helps man.

P.S I don't know about the 6 second thing, but as someone said, try recording into another program such as Adobe Audition. That way you can do all your trimming/effects in there before exporting to FL.

And if your getting annoyed with FL, you might want to try Ableton Live (www.ableton.com). I use it, and I think its perfect for sample-based production, but everyone has a preference.

Peace!

Maks

Maksone said:
Hey man,
I know what your going through, and it is really tough. But here's some advice that I hope will help.

People think sampling is really easy, I mean, in theory, it is. Find an old sample, drop some drums + bass over it, and wah-la.. wrong.

It's hard working becoming a sample producer, but man once you start getting the hang of it, theres nothing like it.

The MAIN thing when it comes to sample production is PATIENCE. The more you listen, the more opportunities pop up for a dope sample. You've really gotta listen, and then re-listen.

Secondly, a lot of new producers (me included) get frustrated too easily and think, "Why can't I make a beat out of this sample?"
But what we don't realise is that you can't expect to make a dope beat out of any random track from your mums collection. Its gotta be something that jumps out at you, something that inspires you to turn it into a beat. This is such a key factor that a lot of people over look. Don't be put off because you can't make something sound hot straight off, its got to be a GOOD sample.

Thirdly, take the time to train your ear. You might notice around here (on the digging forum) that most of us are collectors. It comes with the territory of beat making. You start to really admire the artists, and after awhile you can tell whats gonna be hot and whats not, just by looking at the record, or checking out the credits on the back.
Listen, listen listen. Do your history, and just take it slow.

Fouth, Keep digging. Don't stop. You said your going through your mums mp3's if I'm correct? Why not invest in a ****ty turntable and a pre-amp or cheap dj mixer, and start digging your heart out. Raid those second hand stores and ****. I go nuts every time I walk into a used-goods store in another town. The more you dig, the more sounds you are going to have to work with, and this is what a lot of new guys forget/don't know. You've always gotta keep looking for that "wow" sample.

Hope this helps man.

P.S I don't know about the 6 second thing, but as someone said, try recording into another program such as Adobe Audition. That way you can do all your trimming/effects in there before exporting to FL.

And if your getting annoyed with FL, you might want to try Ableton Live (www.ableton.com). I use it, and I think its perfect for sample-based production, but everyone has a preference.

Peace!

Maks

well said. idk about six seconds either, ive used plenty of samples longer than that, accapellas etc.

^ you like live? i looked at it at a friends house for a bit, i just couldnt get into the workflow on it. but people keep telling me its nice once you learn your way around it.

Xabiton said:
ur trying to hard thats ur problem. Enjoy the music u r sampling and respect it enough to know how to not mess it up. The real skill in sampling is your ear for the samples themselves.

You took the words right outta my mouth.

Sampling

Reign Of Terror you need to stop trying to be like your favorite producer and just develop your own style. I understand that you love the way these producers music sound but once you stop trying to replicate how they sample and start to feel the music you are doing you will never get sampling the way it should be done. Believe me do i beat myself up before when i used to rap because i wasnt feeling my own music but others was. Begin to learn and love what you are doing and it will flow straight through you.

vursatyl0601:

Yeah I really love live, its not that hard to get a work flow going, but I guess it depends more on your production style. Chopping up in Live isn't as "fast" as FL, but you can get really intricate. I'll add you to my AIM and we'll talk there, don't wanna steal this post.

Back