Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Emulating physical crate digging?

plotneezy is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Emulating physical crate digging?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello! This may be a dumb question, but whatever, I'm asking it. O.k., I'm a producer who uses a lot of samples, but I'm also 14 and come from a family who, well, let's just say they're not big fans of what I do. Anyways, I say this because I really want to go and dig for samples at a record store, but my parents refuse to drive me, and there's no way that I can think of to get them, or even money for them (no lunch money, private school, no allowance either), so I can't really go digging. I e-dig, whether it be watching crate diggers on fuse, looking up their records on Soulseek, Youtube digging, music blogs, searching Discogs, but none of it really satisfies me, I just love the look and feel of vinyl (I had a friend who moved away, but he DJed and gave me a record before he left), so how can I emulate the kind of random, blind searching of going crate digging? I know I can't really do this, but any way to get closer would be nice!

DES_1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    if you want a blind search for music, search foreign music or just a broad genre ,Like 70's rock, and pick some random names, and sample that from you tube

Ousizems is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DES_1 View Post
    if you want a blind search for music, search foreign music or just a broad genre ,Like 70's rock, and pick some random names, and sample that from you tube
    Agree, that will be the right decision.

supaproducer85 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Yes put in artist similar to artist that u like in Google an find the people who u never herd of

KHz Wilkerson is offline Soldier Member
    Thanks
    YOUTUBE = E diggin.

Mr. sickVisionz is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    #1 tip... more places than record stores sell records. Hit up thrift stores, salvation army, goodwill, etc. You can get albums for a dollar or less. Also, if you have public transit, then take advantage of that.

As for your topic... nothing will simulate it imo. eDigging is just too musical. It sounds dumb, but there's something to be said about going to a record store or goodwill, and just going over hundreds of albums, looking at the covers, the album notes, the instrument credits, and the albums themselves. All while having no playback of the records. I'm far from a vinyl purist (started sampling by recording classic jazz/orchestra music on the radio to cassette tapes overnight, then messing with MP3s, now doing vinyl and MP3s) but there's a very physical and completely non-musical thing going on when you're digging through record crates.

To me eDigging is more like what happens once you have albums and you put them on the turntable to see what you've got. Instant playback makes it more of a utility and you're cutting out a lot of the process. To make an analogy, eDigging is like seeing what you have in the fridge, then going online to find recipes to make with what you have, then you cook. Digging is like actually going to the farmer's market, looking at the fish and produce, talking with the butcher about good cuts of meat, putting your hands on the vegetables to find what you hope will be the best ones... then coming home, going online, and finding a recipe to cook. Half of the process is completely removed.
    and like this.
    MR. SICKVISIONZ ON THE DAY FUTURE MUSIC
    https://soundcloud.com/sickvisionz/on-the-day

Mannas is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    ^ well said. Everybody is different but that was on the money.

Thanks
    ^^^People use the same type analogies to compare producing on a computer to doing it all on hardware. Just make music and love doing it.
    Two things that annoy me are people who are positive out of ignorance, and people who are negative out of bitterness. People who are neither usually get along with me and agree with most of what I say. People who are one of the 2 think I'm the other.
    www.soundclick.com/phukdupbeats
    www.myspace.com/phukdup
    http://twitter.com/PhukdupEnt

GungFu_Sounds is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    google "milk crate breaks blogspot", they got a great selection for e-digging. and try to find any other blogspots that help you out, not just with links, but info and reviews too on records.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I would give a link but I don't have enough posts yet, I'm about to bombard some useless thread with some posts to reach 20.

but there were a lot of good blogspots before, try to search jazz/funk/soul and blogspot on google and see what comes up. also try to search for things like "Japanese Jazz", "Italian Classical Music", "Indian 1960", random words might give u that random crate digging feel, not really but the point is to find and make crazy shit, isn't it?
    likes this.

Mr. sickVisionz is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup View Post
    ^^^People use the same type analogies to compare producing on a computer to doing it all on hardware. Just make music and love doing it.
    You've completely misunderstood my post if that's what you're taking away from it.
    MR. SICKVISIONZ ON THE DAY FUTURE MUSIC
    https://soundcloud.com/sickvisionz/on-the-day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information