Dr Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland, Kanye Drum Samples....How?

The best way, to me and what i witnessed in an actual dr. dre session, dre layers a Roland TR-909 deep kick, tuned to about -70 on the mpc's pitch adjustment, with a acoustic drum sample from a vinyl break, using the start and sample adjustments on the mpc, he can tightly adjust and isolate the "kick" he then uses the trigger mode to stack the 909 kick with the acoustic kick, that way the low end is automatic but the high and mids come from the acoustic kick. try it, you will be amazed!! your kicks will be almost perfect, of course a little eq'ing will help, but half the work is already done. I hope dre doesn't read this, i just gave out his million dollar secret!! most of the game does that to their drums!! trust me i seen it!>

Most of dr dre's drums, breaks where he samples off of comes from this record collection called "Dusty Fingers" check it out, it's got A LOT of the kicks and snares he uses and has used on the Chronic 2001 which was the first time people got to hear the "Best drums on the planet". also "Strictly Breaks" is a killer collection. Again the key to getting the low end is the TR-909 Kick/acoustic sample stacking method, that's all you need!!

this is an amazing coincidence. this is almost prescicely what i do! although i create my own 909 style kick centered around 100hz region... maybe i should try with an actual 909 sample.
i also use dusty fingers!

any similar tips on getting that snap into snares?

Last edited:
wow...this thread was started 08-13-2006...lol some of those cats have been here for a long time... Big-ups to JimbaFrost... a FP OG for real...lol

Back