Dope Jazz

EspenH

I'm trying to find some dope jazz songs to flip. Mary Lou Williams got some dope shit, and i've been listening to The Modern Jazz Quartet too, i've flipped the django song they got.
And now i'm stucked, i cant find anything dope that i like. Can you guys point me out some good jazz? Something like in the Nas - Illmatic album. I know about Ahmad Jamal and these guys, but they are over sampled.
Hope some of you can help me.

Peace!

Check amazon.com, ppl post up their top 25 albums or wtv under listmania. I've been put on to tons of dope music of all genres that way.

miles davis, charlie parker, coltrane, etc.

budos band is tight

just go get as much jazz as you can and listen to it all. also, pick up some parliament records while you're out

George Duke, Grover Washington, George Benson, Carmen Mcrae all come to mind. Dinah Washington. I haven't listened to any good jazz in a minute. I've been into Funk lately.

Miles Davis & Herbie Hancock is what I've been listening to lately

Stanley Cowell, Yusef Lateef, Max Roach, Joe Henderson, Cal Tjader, Freddie Hubbard, Milt Jackson...

Just to name a few less obvious ones.

A friend of mine gave me a book called Music Hound Jazz: The Essential Album Guide. The book has over 1000 pages of different jazz artists and their best and worst albums listed. It's a pretty cool reference and I'm sure you can find it on Amazon.

PEACE

Last edited:
Idk if you into Jazz Guitar at all, but Wes Montgomery is always fun to sample. Might be a little bit hard to find some of his stuff in good condition if your looking for vinyl though :(

Back