Does looping samples make you any less of a beat maker or producer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NinjaNess said:
Whenever I try to chop up samples, they end up sounding ****ty. But when I loop it, I can usually make some hot beats....But I was thinking, looping samples is much easier than chopping them up (imo)....So would that make me any less of a beat maker?

depends if your lookin' for approval from your peers. if you're happy, don't worry. just do what everyone should be doin', keep improving. if you straight loop than make various tracks of the loop, some high pass some low pass. add or don't it's up to you. eff a 'label', if it's hot it's hot. nuff said.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
In the eyes of other producers...yes. In the eyes of artists who will buy your tracks, and fans who will buy CDs...No. All kanye does majority of the time is loop samples, and he's one of the biggest producers out right now.

Other producers will find something wrong with whatever you do whether it's looping, sampling, using 808s, synths, not sampling, using computers, not using pro tools or MPCs, lol. You shouldn't care what other producers who are gonna always think they're better than you think. They think everything that's not done the way they do things is wrong. People who actually appreciate music enough to buy a beat from you or a CD with your beat on it don't care. That's advice for all of FP.
great advise its very true. i only began to understand this recently. take producers views with a grain of salt. the people who really matter are the fans and mcs. Producers are fickle especially on the net. Only on the net will producers hate on you for looping, using software, or drum selection.

I never loop any samples. I guess that tells you what I think about looping. I always aim to make something different to the original sample, so I chop it, rearrange it etc and try to make my own melody from it.

I do both sample and compose and i feel sampling DOESN"T make you less of a beatmaker....I can't chop tracks either but some of the best just loop...its what sounds good not how complicated the beat is...but it is a good feeling when you are able to add to the sample composition wise...

LOOK, chopping a sample to death my be cool with some cats but nothing is better than a really hot loop. Just got to dig harder to find them. There are so many untouched records out there. But even if you have heard the sample before, it can still be fooled with to make it different. Just dont chop things for the sake of chopping them. Be musical with you music.

Here is a loop based beat I made, hope folks dont think I am half a beatmaker for looping, but if they, **** 'EM!!!

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206055

Last edited:
yeah there have been times when i tried to chop stuff and i was just like **** that, it would sound better looped. and i kept it that why.

jacpot that process you described for sampling sounded interesting? do you use 16 Levels to play the instruments you get from records? it would be cool to hear some of the stuff you were talking about making.

bobsmitt said:
yeah there have been times when i tried to chop stuff and i was just like **** that, it would sound better looped. and i kept it that why.

jacpot that process you described for sampling sounded interesting? do you use 16 Levels to play the instruments you get from records? it would be cool to hear some of the stuff you were talking about making.
I dont use 16 levels I actually assign the samples to different pads and pitch then up or down then time stretch to get different notes. Ill upload some new beats soon so you can tell what Im talking about. All my new beats are like that

has anybody ever heard the song that dre sample whats the difference from....slowed down loop

Edit: when i started i didnt know what chopping was all i did was loop cuz i didnt know the difference...but i actually dont bother if i cant chop a record up good cuz it probably means i shouldnt be touching it

Last edited by a moderator:
*I feel like stirring more of this up... a couple quick comments that should inspire some replies.

- Premier and Alchemist were my role models, (like a lot of us,) when I first started producing about 8 years ago... When I started hearing the original songs that most of thier note-worthy beats came from - what was I supposed to think?? Let's use "Represent" by Premier for example... nothing BUT a sample, and that was always one of my favorite beats... this is what I have to quote from an earlier post I had written... "When you're a REAL producer and you know how simple it can be to spot a loop, snatch it - drop drums to it... you DO lose a little respect for people who ONLY sample." I'm not saying that sampling makes you a "fake" producer, or that there's no talent to flipping an old song into something new: I'm just stating a fact here. If you have rythym at all, can count to 4 - and have a program that lets you disect .wavs ... you can be the next big thing!

*I think that's the REAL problem we're addressing here. There's SOOO many producers now online, that when you hear certain people just snagging huge sample chunks... you can't help but feel like you're being jipped, (after years of crafting your own original style.) Sampling in my opinion, is what can allow the average joe who spontaneously says, "I want to be a producer," - to do so. And that's wack to me. THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM WE'RE TALKING ABOUT... nobody is sincerely sh*tting on producers who sample... I think my fellow keyboardists/instrument players around here would agree that some people are naaasty at sampling... but when you see 800,000 myspaces and websites with producers who are 16-20... snagging huuuge samples and talking about how nice they are - it gets old. When I started puttin' my sh*t down, I was the ONLY person in school/my nieghborhood who even knew what went INTO making a beat. I think some of us miss the time period where beat making was YOURS... not everybodys. Not a fad like it is now.

i'll say it again, most 'kids' i see making beats are composing, steadly askin' where they can get the motif/motif refills, what sound did 'take your pick' use and where can they get it.

those samples from 9 years ago were about finding **** before anybody else and then making a song that would break your neck. this was also a time when it wasn't about the producer but the rapper/ duo/group or singer. no tags or shouts all over the tracks. it was just about pleasing the fans. the games changed due to sample clearance, hired sample hounds, the availability of hard to find music, and the over importance of producers.

Its music whatever feels right go with it. of course you want to keep evolving and getting better at your craft do different things but dont be concerned with chopping samples if the only reason behind it is becuase others do it. You want to be original and have your own flavor.

You know what, I wholeheartedly respecet people like Mysto, Scott Storch who do their thing with keyboards and the like, but I just agitates me when they somewhat shh in sampled based producers, because they simply forget that those are the cats who paved the way for them to be there.To say that you don't personally give them props is just wrong and kinda disrespectful, Point blank, the music is what matters at the end of the day, whether it is asynth sound or a chop or a loop or whatever, it is hot ,and helps the artist get their point across, then so what. I mena, do you honestly think that the general masses really give a crap when they listen to their favorite artist-hell no!!! Oh, and another thing, those so-called "original" sounds that come from Motif or whatever are actually sampled sounds because there are reorded by musicains in a studio, and are then processed/eqed/filtered and then packageed in tangible outlet such that you the producer can futher arrange,chop/eq/change pitch the way you see fit(hmm.... now what does that sound like? wait I know this one, it's on the tip of my tongue)Nuff said.Bottom line, producers should just respect each other's grind, do them, and let their music speak for itself, and stop overanalying this music thing for real. If band on Tritons, then cool, and if you sample/chop, then that's what's up too, just shut the f--- up and make some heat, damn!!!

Last edited:
Most people who compose beats are wack as shyt. If I here one more wack azz beat that sounds like a lil john beat Im gonna go crazy. Just cause you compose dont make you hot.

jacpot said:
Most people who compose beats are wack as shyt. If I here one more wack azz beat that sounds like a lil john beat Im gonna go crazy. Just cause you compose dont make you hot.

*Let's take your last sentence and disect it real quick lol.

- "Just 'cause you compose don't make you hot." I WOULD LOVE to say "just cause you sample don't make you hot," - but 99% of the people out there using samples make a hell of a beat. What's my point? My point is: very rarely do I hear ANY sampled beat that doesn't sound hot... and the reason is: it was ALREADY HOT to begin with! That's why it's easy to knock somebody who composes like Lil' Jon, (terrible example lol,) - but even EASIER to give somebody who threw together a sampled beat props where props really weren't do. I said in my last post that there are definently producers who murder samples... but there's ALSO producers who take advantage of samples - and get props for looping something that was already fire to begin with. Plain and simple. I personally don't discredit using samples, but I DO discredit "producers" who call themselves "producers," and ONLY GET PROPS FOR SH*T THAT'S ENTIRELY SAMPLED. That's corny as hell next to the kid who made real music from nothing. Let's tell the kid who ACTUALLY PLAYED the keyboard that he sucks, and give a pound to the kid who wouldn't know what to do with himself if he HAD NO SAMPLES. (Couldn't make any real music.) That's my take. I listen to every sampled beat with a grain of sand...

WHAT YOUR CRAZY DOG! LOL There is TONS of wack sampled beats. 99% of the sampled beats I hear on here are trash. If you like them then you truly dont have an ear for music. Its more then just placing drums over the sample its the choice of drums and how you put it together. Your crazy for saying that MOST sample beats are hot. LOL

this arguement is going on for way too long. sampling is hip-hop. if you only use synth and 808 you need to fall back because thats not hip-hop. its pop. hip-hop is simple loops, if that dissapoints you than you need to fall back too and do some soft r&b or electronica or some ****. Just dont **** on cats like premo and al for doing hip-hop, something you might have thought you understood but really dont. The fact that this thread is so long is indicative of the state hip-hop, cats like nitti and alot of you guys thinking a motif synth or some bull**** is the culture. fukouttahere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back