Do you sample from vinyl to stereo or mono ??

Krys$hun

The Future
Okay I'm pretty sure this answer is on this forum but I'm asking anyways. Which do your prefer when sampling from a vinyl record into the computer or MPC, etc ? Mono or stereo ? I'm just curious.

I tend to sample in mono if the record is mono and stereo if the record is stereo. Ill convert bass and drums to mono everything else in stereo. As far as the device I don't really care about all of that. I have hardware and I have software for me I prefer work flow on hardware but I use software because its easier to store and recall things.

I will usually do stereo unless it is really messy! I always play real bass guitar over top of it anyways, I try to replay most of the sample and just tuck the sample underneath!

thanks for the feedback. i'm new to actually digging and recording from vinyl so i want to learn all i can.

Some recordings (especially from the 60's) will have instruments that are only present or have more of a presence on one channel (left or right) going mono allows you to select/drop instruments by isolating one channel.

Depends on the sample and how its been recorded ie panned. If an open drum break has a heavy reverb signal in the left and a dry in the right combine the 2 into mono for what I would call a more old skool hip hop sound. There is also the option of playing with pseudo stereo to add width.

Back