Do you make your chops big or small?

N

newbieproduce

I've been making them longer but as ive been watching beat making vids i see that their chops are smaller. what do you do?

Do whats comfortable for you. I used to make really big chops now I make really small ones due to the fact that I mostly chop one shots from songs.

Depends on the beat & sample.
If its a sample that would be looped, I do long chops.. So when I play it with the beat, It has that off-beat wavy flow.
But if its a sample that I'm manipulating alot of chops, I do micro... Micro chops.. Lol

Do whats comfortable for you. I used to make really big chops now I make really small ones due to the fact that I mostly chop one shots from songs.
whats a one shot?
do you mean you hear a sound you like and just take that .5 seconds of sound and throw it in your mpc/folder etc and make beats out of combinations of one shots?
thats how i like doin it too.. gets the job done

whats a one shot?
do you mean you hear a sound you like and just take that .5 seconds of sound and throw it in your mpc/folder etc and make beats out of combinations of one shots?
thats how i like doin it too.. gets the job done

kinda like that. I basically treat my sampled loops like drum loops and chop them the same way. Sound/riff by sound/riff. Then I may use a series of them from one song to make a track or I may bring in others from other songs to add to the track and pitch them to fit.

one interesting approach is to flip a sample by making big chops but then using some smaller chops in 16levels and layering melody over it.

ill let you in on a lil producer secret...
first measure your penis and then you can decide how big your chops should be.. it scales 5:1 chop length (seconds) to penis size (inches)
so if you take 5 seconds if song, your penis in a 1 inch

Last edited:
I like to work with bigger chops, but a lot of them when manipulated or sped or whatever don't sound right to me anymore. They may not perfectly fit the bpm I want, so in turn, the other instruments, drums, kicks, etc become a pain to handle.

Back