Do you ever chop up a sample without knowing how your gonna flip it?

i usually find a couple of four bar loops.. then chop them into 16 chops, or 8.. depends on the sample.. i rarely have an idea, but with loops u allways have a "natural" way of returning to the startingpoint, so i find it makes it a smoother prosess.. after i chopped it i try to find patterns.. if nothing comes to mind, i just save the chops and let them lay in the mp for a couple of days.. usually i come back to it with an idea and make something..

? ?

7char

As in, cue a song against a part of your track, like a DJ.

For example, solo the drum break and bass and play another song and find some more notes, passages or parts that fit.

If you use a wave editor, you can highlight a part and trigger it along with your track.

i usually chop till i hear sounds i like, then look for ones to match then go into patterns and such

I usually find a song i know i can do something with, its just a feeling. I usually chop up parts that sound good but dont figure out how its all gonna sound till i start hitting the pads. sometimes when im not satisfied ill play with the pitch or even reverse then chops.

I have that happen to me all the time. Usually I just chop what sounds good to me and follows the melody of the song, and just go from there. Sometimes I end up making like 30 chops on one song but it's worth it after going through all of them & trying out different combinations imo

just come back to it if you cant flip it, ive done this alot.
I'll chop something with an idea in mind, but it doesn't turn out the way i planed.
Ill just go to another sample and come back to that one some time later maybe a week or even a month.
I've been able to come up with some bangers that way.

I NEVER know how im gonna flip something before I chop it. I make chops that I think I like, lay down the drums, and start beatin the shit out of my MPD until I find somethin

Try pitching the sample to the beat tone. or try chopping different part of a sample & make you own sample.

I never know what I'm gonna do when I'm chopping up a sample now. Lately I've been avoiding it cause I wanted to get a better grasp on writing my own melodies off the jump. Now that I'm cool with that it's flipping time lol. Anyway, I just chop bits I like then I start messing around with it on pads or keys depending on how many chops I have. 50% of the time it'll be pure garbage though... But I'll be tired and end up convincing myself I like it then wake up the next day and find I need to delete that ish fast

Just because you chop something doesn't mean you have to use it immediately.
Sometimes i spend a week or two just chopping.Builds my library and when the time comes to
start putting stuff together,i have all my chops ready to go.

Peace

Anything that sounds good and is isolated(most of the time) just chop it up, mess with the pitch, mix it up, do what you gotta do to just make something original and dope.

Back