Dilla Donuts Track 9 Bassline?

TheDailyHustle

Can anyone who has heard / knows the J Dilla - Donuts album tell me if the bassline on Track 9 is a syth or a real bassline? Sounds like a real bass being played but also sounds to me like it could be reproduced with a synth patch. I am wondering what synth patch if possible could replicate this bass sound. Thanks, I'd post a 1 or 2 bar clip of the track but I dont have access to the track at the moment. Thanks people.

I got a drum track I'm trying to add this bass vibe to, any help would be appreciated fam.

Track 9-Mash on J Dilla's Donuts.....very ill track. This one jumped out at me when I heard this stunning album the first time and still proves to be one of my favorites here-great feel to the track and that piano line just has me mesmerized. To start in the intro the bassline thumps along playing one note (most likely the root) at the start of each bar. I really dig the chaotic splicing of the sample here, great intro at getting the listener's attention. Then the bass outlines the piano riff. The bass falls on the downbeat of the first note of each measure..12 3 4 2 2 3 4...very simple yet effective. I was able to use the first bass patch in the FL studio Hip Hop kit to get a similar sound...defiantly could be imitated with any other sound modules or even an actual bass. Now that I listen to the actual sample{link to sample mix of vinyl used in the production of Donuts, found on MPC forums-http://rapidshare.de/files/29415927/amedonutsmixx.mp3} Dilla used though it sounds like he sampled the bass going on in the loop and filtered it using Low End Theory techniques. The low end theory method can work well especially when using sounds from the same loop as being used for the melody since both clips are apt to be in tune with each other. Many hip hop producers use this technique, it works well and brings its own flavor to the track...but working with a live bass or a synth produced bass gives much greater flexibility. If you want improve your 'bass vibin'' on your tracks...learn the theory and techniques behind the bass...most western music adheres to some similar principles with several variations of course whether it be jazz, rock, hip hop, house, etc. Practice playing along bass lines to your favorite tracks, this will defiantly help. Also, more often than not..use the 1st, 4th, and 5th degrees of the major/minor scales. If you want to create a more melodic bassline take notes within the scale to outline the given chord being played through the harmony or implied by the melody. I won't get into this here...but do a a google search on counterpoint..a very important compositional tool..I recommend the Jazz Improvisation Primer to get a basic grasp on music theory, found at http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/ . The specific section on bass you will find useful on its own, http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/ms-primer-6-2.html , but the material before it makes it quite a bit easier to understand. Peace

TomBlaze2: I would like to thank you for all the input and I really appreciate the links to the primer, etc. I just copped an 88 key midi controller and have been learning basic note fingering but and getting held up on chords. I would also like to ask the same question is asked for Mash to the song Airworks, what about this bassline? It sounds almost 70's to me. Got any ideas on the notes on this one. I cant quite grasp how the notes slide up one note on every hit it seems. Got any ideas on this bass tone? Real bass or any pointers for a possible recreation of this bass tone?

Thanks for all the help.

I also would have to say Mash is one of my favorite tracks from the l/p when I first heard it, it sent chills up my spine and made my hair stand up feel me? Only a few tracks do that to me.

Back