Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

Nicro is offline Registered User

Thumbs up The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

Sign in to disable this ad
    I thought I would make a thread for digging related advice, tips and just general sharing of digging knowledge and fun. Hopefully this thread will at least last a little while get some good convos going and help people out, especially newer diggers.

Some stuff I will throw out right away are probably some of the more obvious stuff.

When I first started digging the first place I went was my grandparents house. They have a decent selection ranging from rock(aren't some Pink Floyd albums worth money? IDK), to a good amount of Spanish stuff, some jazz, some folk and then a bunch of random records. Like I got an "African Marimba Music" record from them. Moral is, go to older family members and look through there records.

Venture out of the box. You don't have to dig all soul or whatever. Like I said, my grandparents had some folk and I copped a couple records from them. Folk is dope. I like it. Made some beats with it, and generally just like it for listening. Never would have thought I would like it.

If you travel somewhere, dig! You don't know what may be common in one area but rarer in yours.

And something that took me a while to figure out is: Just because a song is dope doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to flip, or should flip it.

Who else has something to say?
    , , and 2 others like this.

Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Interesting spin on the digging adventures thread. I am going to change the title to The Digging Advice thread and sticky it

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

My advice for beginner diggers is know what you like. The biggest problem I hear from new diggers is what should I start looking for? Nobody knows the answer to that question except for you. I like to dig for Soul, Jazz, Funk, Pop, Non Traditional Country, Classic Rock and sometimes Folk music. Anything with live playing in it really. Especially if it has great drums. You might not like those genres so don't worry too much about others suggestions.

My second piece of advice is be picky about samples. When you are making beats you are creating part of your legacy. The sound of your records is the sound that people will remember you for when you die if you are fortunate enough to have a large fanbase. Think if J Dilla just sampled every open 2 bar loop he could find rather than finding dope ones to chop up.

My final piece of advice for this post is don't be afraid of cassettes or cds. The only real sound source I would avoid completely are digitally compressed audio files (WMA, Mp3, ect) its just harder to get a good mix with so many missing frequencies at least for me it is. I always feel like there are holes in the frequency range.
    , , and 5 others like this.

Gilson is offline Crate Digger
    I like this thread, X really hit the nail on the head, couldn't agree more with what you said. I will add my 2 cents later, I want to ponder on it for a bit instead of writing it off the top of my head

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nicro View Post
    (aren't some Pink Floyd albums worth money? IDK)
    Pictures of Pink Floyd (Volumes 1 & 2) used to catch some coin, I remember in '09 seeing copies sold for $200+ online, not sure about now though. Would think you could find them for waaaaay cheaper in the field.
    "Echoes:Best Of Pink Floyd" also goes for some ok money, again I think you could find it in the field cheaper than an eBay auction or popsike, etc etc
    1/2 MouthWest

Nicro is offline Registered User
    Word^^^

Just thought of something else though:

Dig through your own crates. Maybe last time you missed something or didn't have an ear for something yet.
    , , and 1 others like this.

YESSIR! The more records you get, the harder it is to keep track of. Every time I look for records in my shelves I see something I forgot I had, great feeling. Shit, I just created a blog over this lol
    likes this.
    1/2 MouthWest

I cant remember how many times ive bought duplicate copies of records because i forgot i had a copy of said record. i tend to go back and listen to records that i want samples from in cycles. i go through everything and then go back but i have a lot of records so its been some time since i started over again. Ive been in my current cycle of listening since August of 2009 when I moved into the place I live in now.
    likes this.

how many records would you say are in this cycle?
    1/2 MouthWest

I cycle through all of my records during this process. last time I did it before I sold my collection took 2 years and I have way more records now.

THETRUTH- kaw is offline Senior Member
    my advice jus be true to ur self , an dont lose focus on the dream ..an stay humble no matter the situation .. whaut else .. give props were its due.. an dont be blind sided by others accomplishments ..
    , , and 4 others like this.

Maybe I missed the point of the thread but wasn't it supposed to be about records and not motivation lol
    and like this.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information