The Definitive (lol) Guide To Sampling In Fl Studio 5/6.

I use to do this technique in Cubase... I might try this later in FL.

You can get really crazy with the chops.. eq. you have a 4bar loop... (your sample loops perfectly) zoom in and chop the cells, arrange them differently... Its really fun, you never know what you can come up with.

Dont get too carried away with the chops though... the more you chop the more you lose the "authentic" of the sample, it will just turn out sounding like random hits.

Longer chops are much more better.

I'm been using FL more and more lately... I'm make sure to try this technque out.

N8an said:

Please, you can't just leave us hanging like that!....

I'm talkin about the technique I've shared here.

It seems that nobody else was doing this in FL. Or even thought it could be done.

OFF said:
Please people,

Lemme know how the technique works out for you.

To be honest I use Reason, but I've been feeling that it doesn't take care of my sampling well enough. So I'm thinking of running FLoops/Acid with Reason via Rewire. And your tutorial swayed me to Fruity Loops (thanks again).:)

I have a few questions before I buy FLoops tho, so if you/anyone else could answer them I'd really appreciate it:

1. I still don't get why you made chops diagonally. What's the advantage? Is it any different to making them vertically? (or does the prog make the chop wherever the line first hits the wav file?)

2. What does 'make unique' do?

3. 6mins into the file, when you drew a line between 2 wav files (one ending & one beginning)then kind of merged them & it added some dots (or small cubes) to the bottom of the wave file which was beginning, what was that?!

4. Last question! What did you automate when the automation bar came up? (I couldn't see any automation going on)

Thanks guys. Probably pretty simple questions, I know. OFF, you've already been a real help so no worries if you can't help me out any more. But if you or anyone else could, it'd be a lifesaver!:cheers:

Aiight man, I've done everything but lay the drums and a bassline. I got all the chops ready, but I went to watch the Rockets then fell asleep.

I will say this technique KICKS ASS. It was confusing at first cuz I didn't know wtf that Make Unique shlt was. Then I realized it is absolutely necessary when you are time scretchin a chop that u pasted. That part was pissin me off. I had to do a BIT more choppin than u did in the video OFF. But it still came out soundin pretty nice. My only thing is I'm gettin some clicks, I dunno if it's from the sample or from my scretchin. (EDIT- Okay, weird, I opened up the file twice this mornin, second time around the click n pops stopped. Hmmm...?)

Hopefully the same occurs when the drums are laid. Question, is there a way I can keep the SONG mode going WHILE I lay drums/bass in the PATTERN sequencer???

Thanks.

PS- Take it from a former Reason sampler, FL owns it in every fashion! SO much easier, no crazy importing/exporting, no HAVING to make REX files.

N8an said:

1. I still don't get why you made chops diagonally. What's the advantage? Is it any different to making them vertically? (or does the prog make the chop wherever the line first hits the wav file?)

I think it's just a quirk I have but I think that I make chops like that cause it gives me room to lean the cursor to chop at an exact point. I sometimes find that when I chop straight there is a little piece left on that I have to chop off. But if you can chop straight and get it right the first time then by all means go ahead.
You can chop anywhere in the file if you set your snap to none.

N8an said:

2. What does 'make unique' do?

Make unique essentially makes a section of the file you chopped up a new file, independent of the file it came from so you can strech and add effects to that one section seperate and apart from the file you chopped it from.

N8an said:

3. 6mins into the file, when you drew a line between 2 wav files (one ending & one beginning)then kind of merged them & it added some dots (or small cubes) to the bottom of the wave file which was beginning, what was that?!

Not exactly sure what your talkin about but I think that was just me arranging the different chops.
?

N8an said:

4. Last question! What did you automate when the automation bar came up? (I couldn't see any automation going on)

There is no automation. That automation bar is in there by default.

DaOriginalBlade said:
Aiight man, I've done everything but lay the drums and a bassline. I got all the chops ready, but I went to watch the Rockets then fell asleep.

LOL

DaOriginalBlade said:

I will say this technique KICKS ASS. It was confusing at first cuz I didn't know wtf that Make Unique shlt was. Then I realized it is absolutely necessary when you are time scretchin a chop that u pasted.

See N8an?

DaOriginalBlade said:

That part was pissin me off. I had to do a BIT more choppin than u did in the video OFF. But it still came out soundin pretty nice. My only thing is I'm gettin some clicks, I dunno if it's from the sample or from my scretchin.

Maybe ur chops were'nt exact, thats usually why it clicks.

DaOriginalBlade said:

(EDIT- Okay, weird, I opened up the file twice this mornin, second time around the click n pops stopped. Hmmm...?)

That happens sometimes. Don't know why . . .

DaOriginalBlade said:

Hopefully the same occurs when the drums are laid. Question, is there a way I can keep the SONG mode going WHILE I lay drums/bass in the PATTERN sequencer???

Yeah. For example when u are doing the kick on pattern 1 make sure it has a box in pattern 1, bar 1.
No worries.
Just no questions that have been asked before.
You will hear what you laid down play with the file.
Same for every seperate pattern such as snare, hi hat, bass etc.

Dang, this is slowly becoming like that Wallbangerz thread. lol

OFF, thanks alot for the feedback man, it's great info. And real, real, real helpful!

Originally posted by OFFI think it's just a quirk I have but I think that I make chops like that cause it gives me room to lean the cursor to chop at an exact point. I sometimes find that when I chop straight there is a little piece left on that I have to chop off. But if you can chop straight and get it right the first time then by all means go ahead.
You can chop anywhere in the file if you set your snap to none.

OK. So, F.Loops doesn't actually slice it diagonally but it's a technique that works for you? I'll try that one out.

Originally posted by OFFMake unique essentially makes a section of the file you chopped up a new file, independent of the file it came from so you can strech and add effects to that one section seperate and apart from the file you chopped it from.

That's ill. I don't think Acid has that function. At least, it's definately not as convenient as that. Another tick for the Fruity Loops features.

Originally posted by OFFNot exactly sure what your talkin about but I think that was just me arranging the different chops
?

I'm not sure man, it def looks like more than that. It happens on the video at 6mins. You draw a vertical line between the two channels of chopped wavs, and then the icon turns to a finger and it looks like you add 6/7 dots to the start of the wav (they go on the bottom of it).

Originally posted by OFF There is no automation. That automation bar is in there by default.

Oh, OK. I just thought that some automation had gone on cos it changed colour to red/pink (I'm colour-blind!) about 2 thirds of the way through.

Thanks again man. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to make the right decision on choosing Acid/F.Loops for sampling, plus the video was dope, you recreated it perfectly.

N8an said:

I'm not sure man, it def looks like more than that. It happens on the video at 6mins. You draw a vertical line between the two channels of chopped wavs, and then the icon turns to a finger and it looks like you add 6/7 dots to the start of the wav (they go on the bottom of it).

Still no clue what your talkin about but hopefully you still grasped the essential elements of the technique.

N8an said:

Thanks again man. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to make the right decision on choosing Acid/F.Loops for sampling, plus the video was dope, you recreated it perfectly.

Nah, not perfect, if I had replayed the bassline and fixed up the drums, figured out how he did that intro and where he got that little part from . . . . *take breath, pause*

It would be perfect.

But for now its just a demo.

Oh and don't let anybody tell you that u that you cant sequence live instruments in FL.
I posted a rock joint I did with my boy Dell. He played all the guitars and I did the drums and mixed it.
I know rock may not be ya'll cup of tea but lemme know what ya'll think please.
Its called "Hesitating"

Still learning how to mix rock so pardon me if it's not too great.

Last edited:
DaOriginalBlade said:
PS- Take it from a former Reason sampler, FL owns it in every fashion! SO much easier, no crazy importing/exporting, no HAVING to make REX files.

LOL now you know the power that is FL Studio.

Hey off sign on I need you to here the new chops.

OFF said:
Oh and don't let anybody tell you that u that you cant sequence live instruments in FL.
I posted a rock joint I did with my boy Dell. He played all the guitars and I did the drums and mixed it.
I know rock may not be ya'll cup of tea but lemme know what ya'll think please.
Its called "Hesitating".
I think the song is excellent. I dunno too much about rock aside from the classic sound, but this has a very professional sonic quality. The geetars are NASTY, your boy must have been playin for awhile. The drums are sick too, if it were me, I'd see if I can find a way to make that snare hit a lil harder. Either or, excellent work. Did you do the drums live, or FL?

FL till I die.

Or until I find a better alternative.

Only the guitars are live.

Last edited:
one thing I noticed is that this method seems to timestrecth... is it possible to change the pitch instead using this method too?

Last edited by a moderator:
nugmusic said:
one thing I noticed is that this method seems to timestrecth... is it possible to change the pitch instead using this method too?

You gotta explain what your asking better.

OFF said:

You gotta explain what your asking better.

basically, as far as I know (I'm not an expert or anything like that) there are two possible ways to increase the tempo of a sample

1. timestreching - this will try to keep the sample sounding the same (i.e. not sound too sped up)

2. changing pitch - this will change the pitch of the sound, making it sound sped up (because it has basically been sped or pitched up)

if u listen to the Alchemist beat at the start of the video and then your recreation at the end, the sample sounds quite different (in terms of pitch)

I have a feeling Alchemist may have chnaged the picth of the samples rather than timestretch them but I could be wrong

Back