Creating drum kits

preppypmp_82

God & The Streets
I don't care about sounding stupid, cause there is no such things as a stupid question as most of the folk on here will make you feel like there is, but how is it that producers sample drums from records or other songs to create their own kits? I am not good at mixing or mastering as I am still new to production, I usually use the drum kits that are in my Fantom but I feel as if I have exhausted those, or at least they aren't as inspiring. I have searched for these answers through google to no avail. It's like I need a sampling tutorial or something. And every free moment I have i'm going through trial and error. Is there a process or method? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can buy drum samples, thats one way to go, or if you have lots of patience and time you can use an audio editing prog. to "cut" your drums from vinyl. I go both ways, I purchase drum collections and use sound forge 7.0 to sample drums, then I load em into battery2 and tune them. When you sample drums try to find sections in the music where theres no background music, just drums, unless its sounds good, like a bassline in the back or some kinda sound that melds right................your ears are the key, train them well young jedi

Fo Sho!! What's an audio editing program that I can use to do this on the mac? Recycle? Bias Peak? Can it be done in Pro tools? Let me know something.

Recycle is for chopping loops, Sony sound forge is what I use but theres soo many different programs to use. Search the forums to find your answers

Since you're new at sampling drums you might want to start off with some drum breaks that are chopped.For example into kicks,snares,and hi-hats. Once you understand what drum breaks are and how they are found on wax.It should help you find open drums on your vinyl to sample. Then apply the chopping tech. of the drums in an audio editing program like the ones mentioned above. Recycle is really easy when it comes to making your on drums.Try the demo to see if you like it.

Any samples I take from vinyl or CD's go through Peak, I would highly reccomend it for chopping out the samples you want from a recording accurately. Also if you are going to be using a lot of drum breaks, from which you intend using more than a single drum hit, then Recycle will be invaluable to you before too long, mainly due to the programs ability to chop up a whole loop semi-automatically into individual hits and then export them as seperate files with the click of a mouse.

You can try all kinds of stuff. I usually sample a drum break off a record, CD, or whatever, and then seperate different drums out using the processes that the others described above. Sometimes then, I will mix two drums together to get a sound I want. Sometimes I use equalization on the drums to bring out a certain characteristic I want in my mix. It takes experimentation but also you may want to read a little on recording engineering so you have an idea of where the different drums typically sit in a mix. A good internet resource is tweakheadz.com, specifically this page has some stuff about drum kit sampling: http://www.tweakheadz.com/Sampling_Tips.html

Good luck & have fun

FOTNS

You could try filtering two kick drums together and then eqing them to a bass drum. If you lower the frequency you could even make your own bass drum and eq it to the kick drums you made. You could also use a filter to change the sound of snares hi-hats or anything else you can think of. I don't know how well filtering two snares or hihats together works, but you could try it. messing with the pitch of samples works too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a Fantom you can chop up the samples using that. I have a x6 and all i do is sample in their and chop up the sample using the interface on the keyboard.

don't forget to put a bassline under your drum samples. It makes them alot smoother unless thats not what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back