crate digging

EBE725

When crate digging, how many people buy a bunch of records and then only end up using a couple of them? I know i do, but ever since I read this interview with Madlib, I've been trying to get something out of every record I've got. This is a pretty vague post, but it's something that's been buggin' me for a while.

It depends on what you look for, my boy samples like that, he gets pieces from other records, but me, I'll sample and chop the **** outta song 20 second sample from a soul song.

So it all depends on the beat maker and their method.

I usual spend about 1hr or more when diggin because the shop i go to has listen stations so i leave making sure that each record is worth my 1.00. And they got like thousands and thousands so i limit my self to like 10 at a time

I was liek that when i started for 1 i didnt have the skill to sample alot of **** that was on the records or the ear to find i. Now after digging awile i have found it easy to look at a record and see if its has good samples by just the cover and and record lable. Also you can look at the record it's self and see if ti has wider groves in it areas witch mostly means a break is there.

i dig through my pop's old records but when i make a beat i chop the hell out of like a 5 second sample so it all depends in the instruments

I like to sample popular music and chop out individual sounds. I prefer to do popular music tho because I can usually listen to it a lot longer to find good loops to chop vs dealing w/ the torture of bad music.

^^^ hey chill to a sampler that really knows how to sample it doesnt matter whether the music is good or bad known or unknown its whether u can use it or not

Xabiton said:
I like to sample popular music and chop out individual sounds. I prefer to do popular music tho because I can usually listen to it a lot longer to find good loops to chop vs dealing w/ the torture of bad music.

There's good music out there that isn't popular. Isn't the idea of digging finding music that not everyone knows about?

big timothy said:

There's good music out there that isn't popular. Isn't the idea of digging finding music that not everyone knows about?
I dont dig I never claimed to be a digger I sample why look for something nobodys heard of when theres hot **** sittin right in front of me im not saying diggin is a bad thing if thats ur thing run with it but w/ the way i sample its not gonna sound much like the original anyway

Xabiton said:
I dont dig I never claimed to be a digger I sample why look for something nobodys heard of when theres hot **** sittin right in front of me im not saying diggin is a bad thing if thats ur thing run with it but w/ the way i sample its not gonna sound much like the original anyway

tru, its hip hop no rules. but if its a pop song, it got something in there take it and use it.

diggin is just fun, caus eit makes you feel like yopur special or soemthing, lol.

you still kind of dig for the song and find the sample. i'm gonna check out a vinyl store in spain tommorow which should have some cool **** and more to sample instead of my parent's vinyl. most songs have samples and usually i listen to the 1st minute to see if i can get some good samples without background crap.

its not really diggin for me I listen to the music for entertainment and if i hear something dope to sample ill write it down and finish listening to my record

Back