Count out bars in samples

Easyslider01

I was wondering if any of you guys had an easier way to count out the bars from the songs you sampled from, because I'll count them out before I chop them and they seem to work nicely, but when I put them in FL Studio, some I chopped that sound be four bars might be off by a beat, and I could stretch it, but then it would throw off all of my other chops. So I was wondering if there is something you guys use to make choppin samples easier.

Thanks

You could be counting the bars right and just be making bad chps, or you could have a sample that isnt perfectly on beat through the whole sample...

^very true. tho I really think he just doesnt let it flow for him hes just counting and cutting u have to listen to the sample as well in the end if it sounds good it is good regardless of if its technically right or not

You gotta understand, atleast depending on what era of music it was, a lot of patterns are inperfect. For example, if you sampled a record from the sixties, those cats went in the studio and just banged out with raw drum sets so they may have missed the beat by .002 seconds oir whatever but it still sounds dope. When you try to plug that into a work station generally, the metronome is so on point that it will expose this. It presents a different challenge.

Exactly! or you change your chop up and swing your drums. I do on the MP but one of my crew members uses FL and you can swing drums on that too.

well usually If you count out you bars perfectly it would loop rite unless da song wasnt played in tha correct time signature... but first make your shyt flow...If your sample off beat you can still use it jus do this.....

Fl slicer:
Dis what I do..... take a part of of a song I want den I mark the song on erry kick and snare(in sony acid)... den I put it on Fl slicer (While I was in acid I speed tha sample up or slowed it down u should see tha bpm reading) den I match the bpm to the tempo. Next you dump it in the piano roll but the catch is you gotta delete it and re compose tha song to where a kick(or snare) will be on the Fl grid once you do dat with each chop you select the "A" function(mirror) and what dis does it puts an echo on tha beat you move the slider up or down to it plays perfect and when it does you drum pattern should be on point....Really useful for samples dat have kicks dat are off(no fun intended lol) or when you trying to layer perfect.... learned it tha other day...I ju been working with the loops for bout 5-6 months

xabition is right your "ears" become your mouse pointer or your metronome......and forget the fl studio slicer that thing is garbage...if you use a reg audio editor and using a low setting on your turntable (for those that sample from wax) and a mid setting on your receiver (meaning where ya sh** is balanced ) when it pops up in ya audio editor after rec in audacity soundforge-wavelab-etc.,ucan see the highs and lows of the song since there are only 3 parts to a song you should know where to chop and how many bars to mix N match and mingle in with the rest of the sample to calculate how many bars u using...ight

Last edited:
Yes,you should learn to trust your ears...Rza often had loops who were off beat,yet it was still dope...As long as it's not too blatant,it'll even add character to your beats.

fl slicer aint bs you jus aint using it rite...But I only use it to layer drums or make them song form tha 60s on beat but to each is own..besides I usually jus make my chops and load it in FL..Yea your Ears are important you should know when you got a loop

Back