Could i sample George Carlin without getting sued?

Olie

Really want a short piece of his stand up for an intro. Just in case you didn't know he passed away in 2008.

So I briefly looked into this for ya. By brief, I mean I googled the question, and the first site I saw was WikiQuotes Talk:George Carlin - Wikiquote

It says the whole page has been flagged for containing "too many quotes from copyrighted material", so you may have an issue there - especially if you plan to use recorded audio.

The next stop was another site about "joke theft", Joke theft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which claims repeating a known comedian's jokes can be construed as plagiarism and/or copyright infringement.

Do some homework on this before releasing!

That sucks. I've seen some producers use his voice. I've tried several searches to figure it out but not much luck. The best thing I've found is this http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/files/2009/10/fairusechecklist.pdf and about half is on the fair use checklist the rest is not.

This is why i would never sign with a label. When I'm dead everyone can use my music and voice all they like, i want them to keep my music alive. Greedy ass corporate suits profiting off a dead man, seems somehow wrong don't you think? Not going to bother using it.

Thanks for the replies

Ollie, same rules apply as those we use to determine using music - the work is copyright and cannot be used without license. Currently the copyright owners will be his estate and/or publishers (depending on how he assigned rights when making the recordings). but it gets trickier: there are also publishing rights and mechanical rights, most likely held by the companies that published the material on video or vinyl or cd

Given that he died in 2008, the copyright in his work will continue for at least 75 years, so you will need to deal with the copyright owners

Ollie, same rules apply as those we use to determine using music - the work is copyright and cannot be used without license. Currently the copyright owners will be his estate and/or publishers (depending on how he assigned rights when making the recordings). but it gets trickier: there are also publishing rights and mechanical rights, most likely held by the companies that published the material on video or vinyl or cd

Given that he died in 2008, the copyright in his work will continue for at least 75 years, so you will need to deal with the copyright owners

Back