Code of ethics

It's funny because I had this discussion with my uncle a couple of days ago. He is a techno producer and plays, composes and constructs every pattern, sound, progression etcetera himself.

While me on the other hand i sample everything, i need a deep kick i search through all my records (or cop new ones) just to find that kick to complement the song. Same with hats, vocals, bass line. If i want a certain II - IV - V progression played on a mandolin i will have to search my ass off or chop a I - V - IV - II progression on a mandolin to my desired results. What i mean is that sampling to me is an art form. It takes a lot of time and energy and creativity to have an idea in your head and mold it with just using samples.

To me personally just taking one loop and leave it unaffected is a No go but that's my personal view. If just that loop tells the perfect story you want to convey and you add little bits of yourself to make the story come out more then I respect it.

Samples are bits of sound recorded from a pre-existing source. If there was no bird to record there was no sample. If there was no bongo band there was no apache break. In that context no sample use is original. But the story of the reconstructed or recomposed sample still can be original. Or the message or vibe it should convey. If i used the bongo break and made reggae from it (wich someone has probably already done but lets say it hasnt been done before) then the bongo break is unoriginal but the full reggae composition and the new vibe it brings hasn't been felt before in the combination with that break.

Epiloque; even if the source isn't original your idea or reconstruction can still convey never heard of stories or never felt moods.

idk if anyone is following what i'm trying to say but i hope it contributes to this thread haha.

El

Im feelin ya man. Sampling is an art form and J Dilla proves that very well. Unfortunately the market for sample producers is very scarce, but I appreciate the music that comes from it.

Last edited:
Do any of you feel it is ethical or unethical to use samples or loops in your songs? I am doing a group research project on the subject and would like to get feedback from some producers. Also any credible links will be appreciated if shared.

Ethical because Hip Hop was built on using samples. All of my favorite hip hop records of all time use samples. That is what is appealing as a producer or hip hop beatmaker;the ability to make music without having formal music training.

Last edited:
I don't ever use samples, mainly because i don't want to go through trying to clear them and would prefer to make more original stuff but I believe the two main sides of the argument for this are that you are bringing life to an otherwise old forgotton song and popularising it for a new generation and doing something positive (also earning new royalties for an otherwise forgotton possibily broke musician) or on the other hand you are ruining a song (based on some peoples opinion) , using it for your own financial gain and being lazy. Can't add much more than that, i can see the value of both responses but i think the ones who are against it usualy react out of fear of change.

I don't ever use samples, mainly because i don't want to go through trying to clear them and would prefer to make more original stuff but I believe the two main sides of the argument for this are that you are bringing life to an otherwise old forgotton song and popularising it for a new generation and doing something positive (also earning new royalties for an otherwise forgotton possibily broke musician) or on the other hand you are ruining a song (based on some peoples opinion) , using it for your own financial gain and being lazy. Can't add much more than that, i can see the value of both responses but i think the ones who are against it usualy react out of fear of change.

Not against change at all. Me personally I have such a respect for musicians in general that I couldnt consider my two chord melody with no progression real music. Take Laffy Taffy for example. That's original garbage(lol).

Adrian Younge represents change I enjoy:

Last edited:
Back