Chops

gmixstudios

Hey there, I have started chopping lead sounds, I am new as hell to this and it has taken me a while to get to grips with the beat.

I have been sampling jazz stuff looking for piano and trumpet parts to sample, my friend says to sample a loop and set the beat round that, I have been told by another to chop each individual notes and compose my own, and what I have been doing is chopping the part with say 2-3 notes in any given sample, I find then I have a structure to work with.

Have you any tips to help me move past this point apart from "blind" practice, as Id like to know what and how to practice.

Cheers.

Rob

this is what i do sometimes.. i find a loop that i like.... find it's tempo... than once i already have the tempo for it i chop it up... it's a lot easier to work with chops once you already have the tempo for the original sample... i do the same with breakbeats.. hope that can help a lil... but what equipment are you using/??

elohiminc said:
this is what i do sometimes.. i find a loop that i like.... find it's tempo... than once i already have the tempo for it i chop it up... it's a lot easier to work with chops once you already have the tempo for the original sample... i do the same with breakbeats.. hope that can help a lil... but what equipment are you using/??

Cheers. I am using a MPC2kXL and a turntable, I own a computer also with a cubase and soundforge combination too.

but at the mo tend not to dust off the PC.

Back