Choosing the Right Bass / Sub for Hip Hop

heydavid714

When I produce, I sample old records. I have a really difficult time choosing the right bass sound though. Does anyone have any suggestions / tips on how to know what good bass to use? Do you just have a folder of tons of bass sounds, and go through each one until it feels right?

Most bass samples I find are simple 808 samples -- but I don't know how to get them to play such as hum subs, and when to release them during the beat (usually at the clap, right?). Any tips, links to tutorials, or search phrases I can use on Google would be appreciated!

you have to tweak the sample itself to get the 808 only if thats what you're talking about I'll find you a video when i find it

I think what he means is, when you grab a melody for a sample and you want to play your own bass on it, what are the basic steps that you should follow? I'd like to know this too because on all of my beats, I either don't create a bassline, or create a bad sounding one.

What I usually do is first play a bass melody with a piano or other bright instrument. When that sounds right (i.e. not off key) I browse to my bass sounds collection until I find a nice sounding one.

The difficult part imo with bass sounds is that because they're so in the background it's hard to hear if the melody is in key, hence my piano solution :)

Back