Can someone go into more detail about the difference between chopping on beat vs. cho

MK25roLife

I am having difficulty figuring out how to chop different notes and putting them back together on my MPC in a difference sequence. Right now I am chopping each bar I sample on beat, but I would like to try chopping different notes so that I could hopefully come up with something different. Can someone give me some pointers? Thanks!

I don't understand the difference between them.....it just comes down to how long the sample is going to be......

sup man the difference is like this:

kanye west - samples in measures, riffs n melodies

DJ premier - samples down to the notes (USUALLY) n cuts them up to create his own melody

it sounds like your trying more to create a new melody. what i do is not think about sampling on beat, think about sampling in terms of notes. cut out each note of different instruments, i usualy get around 10 all in different lengths and tones then i load them up and play around with a melody n see what comes out.

a good example of this is here : http://www.myspace.com/allcitybeats
listen to track 93, its a little bit of both sampling notes and bars.

yo rza sampled that the same exact way pick up the bobby digital cd and do ya research before sounding like you jacked the 1st 4 sec of the song...just thought you should know...or just try to dice it up note by note and then add 3 more samples to it from a different song on the album or use stabs & riffs that sh#&* ain't as recognizeable with a little flange,chorus-adjustments to give it height-that reverb cuz most of the track is bottomless no bassline

Back