best way to sample

Am I supposed to do this over a long stretch of the song? I find that when I do it this way I always a little bit off.

Two things determine the result, your sense of rhythm when timing and any variation in tempo over the duration of the song, like it's not impossible for each bar in a song to be a different tempo in which case I would recommend only timing the duration you intend to use.

What the hell is this jargon??? If you are musically inclined, a 1 bar loop at whatever tempo is not difficult to achieve by ear, and even easier when analyzing the waveform. And even BEFORE being able to see waveforms DJ's used to loop breakbeats with two turntables of the same two records before there was even any "loop" function, and that was all be ear

Yeah as an old school DJ with an acute sense of rhythm I can loop shit on my turntables in a multitude of ways, transforming, string on the tone arm, a sticker on the record, I can even reverse the head shell adjust the counter weight sit the record on a roll of duct tape and play some upside down backwards loops, and I can also tell that the guys who made the Drum Crazy series of break beat records didn't know jack shit about how to make a loop properly because I can hear that shit skewing all over the place....but none of that needs to be on point in order to work so long as you can ignore the skewing and drifting or make unnoticeable adjustments to the timing.

It's quite simple dude....BPM and loop length go hand in hand, so if you rough cut a loop by ear chances are that shit will be wrong even if you can't tell, like if you only use fake loops you might not see much advantage unless you have issues related to time stretching, but if you know how to make proper loops there are no such issues and you can trigger them in repetition or have them play autonomously without drifting.

I'm not surprised to see this, because i have seen it on here before... If you have to go through ALL this to make a loop, than you don't need to be making music. How this does not affect your workflow is a mystery to me:4theloveofgod:

All what? this is some basic shit man and yeah, my workflow is extremely fast because I already know the loop length before I even hit my starting point, basically I don't waste any time adjusting the back end of my loop and in all honesty it probably takes me no more than about 10 seconds to make a perfect loop and that's including the math.

If putting together a bicycle seems too difficult for you, just keep walkin' man.

i hear u man, if thats the way you do it and it works for you, thats fine. But tryin to explain all that math shyt to beginner just adds confusion, learn the basic way which is by hear, once they understand the concept, than they can learn the math to make that perfect loop if they choose

i hear u man, if thats the way you do it and it works for you, thats fine. But tryin to explain all that math shyt to beginner just adds confusion, learn the basic way which is by hear, once they understand the concept, than they can learn the math to make that perfect loop if they choose

I am just putting the knowledge out there so that people have the option to use it or ignore it if they want to.

I am well aware of the perception people have about it, they assume that it's more difficult and is used to compensate for a lack of musical ability, but this assumption is quite wrong.

Using a stopwatch to time a measure of music definitely requires musical ability, as in you have to be able to count time, the difference is you use your musical skills prior to touching the mouse not while you are using it, besides, nudging loop points around by ear actually requires less musical ability because your constantly adjusting the very frame of reference you are auditioning, so if it's slightly too short or too long you won't be able to tell....therefore if you lack a natural sense of rhythm you are probably better off cutting by ear.

You don't have to use math to work out loop lengths, you just hit start and stop on a stopwatch and there it is, you just set your markers to that distance (now that's something we couldn't easily do on hardware because time was usually displayed in samples rather than seconds) so using a stopwatch is not too complicated at all, but it is nice to be able to work out the tempo from the length or length from the tempo so that you can avoid certain unnecessary headaches later on...such as beats not lining up with the grid due to skewing.

Major Scale is right.Just make music and leave the math alone for now.
I have NEVER heard anyone say "i like how that loop is 3.354 secs long" lol.
People will not hear the math they will hear the loop,and what do you use to listen to music?

Peace

that may be your experience but that doesn't negate any other approach

- loop making goes back before samplers to using tape and in those days you had to measure your tape and/or scrub the loop point over the head to find the start of the next beat so you knew where to cut the tape before splicing it back together

-- if you over-cut never a problem

-- if you undercut, you had to start again from scratch

-- we even had assessment tasks in tape cutting in the 80's

- and earlier still you could do this with wire recorders, soldering the ends together to make loops

Last edited:
LOL and we're not talking about techniques from 20 or 30 years ago.
You can take whatever approach you like but like i said i've never heard anyone compliment a
producer on the mili-seconds of a loop.

You can loop and adjust on the fly in seconds nowadays and most people do it by ear.
There's nothing wrong with knowing the math,it's just not necessary to make a loop.

Peace

what is the best way to sample a beat

Get Audacity for free, and record it off of your sound card. Just know to record silence, get the noise profile, and then remove that from your recordings or it will come out fuzzy. That and make sure to normalize the sample before you export it. Also be sure it start and ends in complete silence so it doesn't make a strange chopping sound at the end.

Last edited:
Major Scale is right.Just make music and leave the math alone for now. I have NEVER heard anyone say "i like how that loop is 3.354 secs long" lol.
People will not hear the math they will hear the loop,and what do you use to listen to music?

Yeah the whole point of the math is so people will comment on how much they like the length of a loop and the sound of math......like it couldn't possibly have anything to do with producing a less problematic loop quicker with more flexibility in regard to production techniques. :rolleyes:

LOL and we're not talking about techniques from 20 or 30 years ago.

You are, because you are applying the same old nudging technique used to edit hardware that didn't display time in seconds, you are ignoring that you can now use the time display in your software to just hit the correct loop length right off the bat.

You can take whatever approach you like but like i said i've never heard anyone compliment a producer on the mili-seconds of a loop.

There is a good reason why you don't hear people prop up your stupid straw-man argument, it's because workflow enhancements are often inaudible, but this does not diminish any advantage during the production process.

You can loop and adjust on the fly in seconds nowadays and most people do it by ear. There's nothing wrong with knowing the math,it's just not necessary to make a loop.

Why not just get the length right from the start instead of making constant pointless adjustments to the length? What do you do if you want to shift the entire loop forward or back, start all over again trying to find your end point by nudging shit around? sure it's not necessary to be accurate if you only intend to use one kind of loop but a properly cut loop will work more than one way and won't give you unnecessary headaches due to skewing.

i find it a hell lot easier to just get the 'cut' of whatever you want in a sample and then warp it to your desired tempo. This of course, is done pretty easily in Ableton Live.

Doing it this way, literally means you don't depend on the original tempo of the song because as with many old samples, they're not exactly faithful to a metronome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the whole point of the math is so people will comment on how much they like the length of a loop and the sound of math......like it couldn't possibly have anything to do with producing a less problematic loop quicker with more flexibility in regard to production techniques. :rolleyes:

You are, because you are applying the same old nudging technique used to edit hardware that didn't display time in seconds, you are ignoring that you can now use the time display in your software to just hit the correct loop length right off the bat.

There is a good reason why you don't hear people prop up your stupid straw-man argument, it's because workflow enhancements are often inaudible, but this does not diminish any advantage during the production process.

Why not just get the length right from the start instead of making constant pointless adjustments to the length? What do you do if you want to shift the entire loop forward or back, start all over again trying to find your end point by nudging shit around? sure it's not necessary to be accurate if you only intend to use one kind of loop but a properly cut loop will work more than one way and won't give you unnecessary headaches due to skewing.

It is what it is,i mean,i didn't read any of what you said but do you.
That's all that matters.I'm sure there are plenty of people that will pat on you on the back though.

Peace

When I sample I use Reason 7. I just got Maschine and am learning how to use it. I think that the main thing is that you find the way that works best for your production style. Either way you choose you will have to learn and perfect that method. Good Luck

Like everyone said, there is no perfect way to sample its all up to you. I just like keeping it simple and using Ableton and messing around with it.

listen to the song you wana chop and go thur it splicen is easy in fl slicer an manual choping has some advantages aswell as choping striaght from the record itself its even more dramatic iff u only knew what i mean ..

i find it a hell lot easier to just get the 'cut' of whatever you want in a sample and then warp it to your desired tempo. This of course, is done pretty easily in Ableton Live.

Doing it this way, literally means you don't depend on the original tempo of the song because as with many old samples, they're not exactly faithful to a metronome!

Any technique which allows you to match lengths to timing is good, for example using a grid to cut a loop. You don't have to break out a calculator in order to gauge one value against the other when the right time is defined by a line, you don't even need to understand that there is an inseparable relationship between loop length and BPM so long as you stumble upon the right technique.

It is what it is,i mean,i didn't read any of what you said but do you. That's all that matters.I'm sure there are plenty of people that will pat on you on the back though.

Lol @ you catching feelings over something you didn't read.

Anyone got a simple way to sample in Maschine? I just made a dope sample beat in FL Studio (rarely sample) I like relapsed on Fruity loops after a couple weeks made a strangely great beat this shit epic over here

Unless you get lucky I doubt very much that if I asked you to make a 1 bar loop at 95 BPM that you would be able to cut it to exactly 2.526 sec just by ear, especially not if you are shifting your frame of reference around while you are doing it, and while your incorrect loop length is not going be a big deal if you constantly trigger it as per the old school single shot cheat it is likely to drift if you set it to loop autonomously because your slight error will accumulate with each cycle.

This works thanks,its easy in edison cause you can see the exact time on the display as you select.

What you do is take a piece of a song you like ( not the whole song but just a piece ) and chop small. Then you just replay the chops in your own groove/rhythm. This is the original sampling artform.

Last edited:
Personally, I've had the best success with Maschine… it makes sampling, slicing, and application very easy. I like to drag my Wavs into machine, hit the sampling button, and then set my 16 segments(just click and drag start and end points or use the hardware controller to set via two knobs) then hit the apply button and your done, from there, lay on some VSTs and go to town.

This is what I do I'll usually drag the sample into logic there is a auto tempo finder in logics stock plugins I'll find out the tempo while I listen for the parts I want to use if I'm not sure which part I'll use I'll bounce the whole song to a wav. File then I open up machine not in logic I think its a pain to use logic and machine when sampling I will sequence my beat in machine and if I need more tracks I'll bounce it out and put it back into logic it eventually ends up in logic anyway to be mixed

Back