best way to sample

Use propellerhead recycle or reason 6/7/ essentials. Personally i use recycle with reason 5. its simple and sounds clean. In reason i use nn xt for building a loop

It depends on the beat and what you want to do with it, like if you want a proper loop all you need to do is calculate it's length based on it's tempo and cut it to that, most people on here wouldn't know shit about that and they would just be ruff cutting their loops by ear like folks did in the olden days because hardware samplers displayed time in gibberish numbers based on sample rate, or they would be relying on software and luck to get it right.

Any sampler will do. It's just a matter of time shifting and finding the right way to incorporate your chops into your beat and the rest is history baby.

what is the best way to sample a beat

There is no best way, there are millions of techniques. It's all about finding out what techniques fit you.

It depends on the beat and what you want to do with it, like if you want a proper loop all you need to do is calculate it's length based on it's tempo and cut it to that, most people on here wouldn't know shit about that and they would just be ruff cutting their loops by ear like folks did in the olden days because hardware samplers displayed time in gibberish numbers based on sample rate, or they would be relying on software and luck to get it right.

Cutting loops and chops right by ear isn't that hard as long as you got the right ear.

Cutting loops and chops right by ear isn't that hard as long as you got the right ear.

Unless you get lucky I doubt very much that if I asked you to make a 1 bar loop at 95 BPM that you would be able to cut it to exactly 2.526 sec just by ear, especially not if you are shifting your frame of reference around while you are doing it, and while your incorrect loop length is not going be a big deal if you constantly trigger it as per the old school single shot cheat it is likely to drift if you set it to loop autonomously because your slight error will accumulate with each cycle.

I use FL Studio and use it's Edison plug-in, which I know is unpopular among producers. I load the song I want to sample. I locate the first region I want to sample, and cut/delete everything before it. Then I let Edison auto-detect beats. From there I find about 10-15 samples and cut out every region I don't need. Now I have all my samples on one track, I load them into Fruity Slicer then manually cut them. I lay the drums then I play with fruity slicer via a midi keyboard. Finally I lay the bassline. This is the way I'm used to doing it.

My drums are always in 4/4, so naturally when I playback the samples trying to figure out how to lay them out best, I always match 1 sequence of samples to exactly a whole number of bars.

Last edited:
really it all depends on what your comfortable with, there is no 'best' way. it also depends on the sample and what you want to do with it as far as technique is concerned. the way i do it usually is i will record the sample from my turntable in fl studio using the edison plug in, then i drag and drop into the slicex plug in. from there i will choose a loop or chop up a section (or both). then ill add my drums, possibly add some synths, possibly filter a bass line from the sample. theres all kinds of cool things you can do when sampling just gotta experiment and find a process that is comfortable for you.

The hard thing I found about sampling and using it is to find the right tempo of the sample. Is there a tool to do it or you guys are doing it by ear?

The hard thing I found about sampling and using it is to find the right tempo of the sample. Is there a tool to do it or you guys are doing it by ear?
I will usually just do it by ear and adjust the tempo accordingly. There are a few tools you can use though (depending on what you use), in fl studio you can right click where the tempo is displayed and click tap. That will bring up the 'tempo tap' tool. Play the sample, tap on each beat and the tempo will adjust. Another option is to download the free version of virtual dj and then drag and drop the desired sample into it and with most songs it will find the tempo for you. Hope this helps.

I will usually just do it by ear and adjust the tempo accordingly. There are a few tools you can use though (depending on what you use), in fl studio you can right click where the tempo is displayed and click tap. That will bring up the 'tempo tap' tool. Play the sample, tap on each beat and the tempo will adjust. Another option is to download the free version of virtual dj and then drag and drop the desired sample into it and with most songs it will find the tempo for you. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks a lot!!!! I'm using Maschine and my DAW is Logic so I just don't know if there's a way to do it with these 2 soft but if so, it would be great that I know how!!!

Other than that, I might try virtual dj....this seems to be quite useful!

Thanks

I often use a stopwatch and calculator to find the tempo, which is basically how tap tempo works.

Using the stopwatch I can see the length of the measure (or loop) whereas tap tempo hides that information, I also don't need to open up my DAW to find a tempo but most importantly understanding the relationship between tempo and length means I can archive a higher degree of accuracy thus eliminating the skewing that occurs towards the back end with a mismatched tempo.

If you are using tap tempo I would recommend that rather than tap from beat to beat you tap over a longer duration such as a bar and adjust the tempo accordingly, the idea is that you reduce the errors that are inherent when timing a short duration such as from beat to beat, so you time 1 bar with 2 taps instead of 5 taps to measure 4 very short spaces within the same measure of 1 bar.

To work shit out with a stopwatch and calculator.

60 / seconds x beats = BPM

For example, 60 / 2.526 x 4 = 95 BPM

Last edited:

Am I supposed to do this over a long stretch of the song? I find that when I do it this way I always a little bit off.

Unless you get lucky I doubt very much that if I asked you to make a 1 bar loop at 95 BPM that you would be able to cut it to exactly 2.526 sec just by ear

What the hell is this jargon??? If you are musically inclined, a 1 bar loop at whatever tempo is not difficult to achieve by ear, and even easier when analyzing the waveform. And even BEFORE being able to see waveforms DJ's used to loop breakbeats with two turntables of the same two records before there was even any "loop" function, and that was all be ear

I often use a stopwatch and calculator to find the tempo, which is basically how tap tempo works.

Using the stopwatch I can see the length of the measure (or loop) whereas tap tempo hides that information, I also don't need to open up my DAW to find a tempo but most importantly understanding the relationship between tempo and length means I can archive a higher degree of accuracy thus eliminating the skewing that occurs towards the back end with a mismatched tempo.

If you are using tap tempo I would recommend that rather than tap from beat to beat you tap over a longer duration such as a bar and adjust the tempo accordingly, the idea is that you reduce the errors that are inherent when timing a short duration such as from beat to beat, so you time 1 bar with 2 taps instead of 5 taps to measure 4 very short spaces within the same measure of 1 bar.

I'm not surprised to see this, because i have seen it on here before... If you have to go through ALL this to make a loop, than you don't need to be making music. How this does not affect your workflow is a mystery to me:4theloveofgod:

Like Pelle said,there is no best way,find what works for you.
You can use hardware and/or software,just depends on what you feel comfortable with.
You can use a formula to timestretch and chop,use a program,do it by ear,do it by sight,whatever.
It comes down to workflow.If you spend 30 minutes just trying to determine tempo and chop,you're doing it wrong.

Me personally,i do all my editing in Soundforge.
Recording from the TT or loading a track is easy and processing is just as fast and easy(for me).
From there i can use MPC Editor to make programs for the 2KXL or just load them into Essentials or any other
D.A.W i'm using at that time.

Peace

Last edited:
its all about the man behind the machine meaning you.it doesntmatter what ay you do it its about how you make it hot.

Back