Best Albums

SORRI DENTE

Which do u think are the best albums to study sampling from. I dont care who the rapper is, I just want dope productions to listen to.

nas - illmatic
notorious big - ready to die
wu-tang - 36 chambers
raekwon - cuban linx
gangstarr - daily operation
gangstarr - hard to earn
gangstarr - moment of truth
pete rock and cl smooth - mecca and the soul brother
pete rock and cl smooth - the main ingredient
pete rock - soul survivor

nas - illmatic
notorious big - ready to die
wu-tang - 36 chambers
raekwon - cuban linx
gangstarr - daily operation
gangstarr - hard to earn
gangstarr - moment of truth
pete rock and cl smooth - mecca and the soul brother
pete rock and cl smooth - the main ingredient
pete rock - soul survivor
thanks!! if you come up with more let me know!

De la soul...
Mobb deep
A Tribe Called Quest
Some early Outkast (atliens,)
Pharcyde
Brand Nubian

A better question would be who are good sample producers... then look up their discography

Last edited:
My favorite thing to do to hone my skills is just look around on whosampled.com and try to recreate some of the great music that's out there. For one thing it's a great way to learn to produce a beat start to finish without worrying about digging through 1,000 wack samples before you find something good. With the classics you should be able to sample the same thing, then turn that same groove into a beat that sounds 10x better just because you've got the technology they never had. The other side of that coin it also trains your ear as far as knowing what to look for when you're out digging on your own.

As far as listening, I really don't think it does a lot of good. You gotta go hands on. I think everyone who listens to hip hop hears things they think would make a good beat, but that's the easy half of the equation. The key is being able to hear a lot of dope music and know instantly why you shouldn't bother with something 99% of the time you drop the needle.

Also, Just Blaze is my favorite producer and there's some good inside type shit with him on youtube. Really smart dude and you can learn a lot from him technique, approach and career wise. A lot of people have produced some great shit then disappeared but he's someone I really look up to as far as staying relevant along with every new wave of kids that adopt the new technology.

There's some good related videos out there if you start with him too. Even if Kanye isn't your bag watching him feel out samples is worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite thing to do to hone my skills is just look around on whosampled.com and try to recreate some of the great music that's out there. For one thing it's a great way to learn to produce a beat start to finish without worrying about digging through 1,000 wack samples before you find something good. With the classics you should be able to sample the same thing, then turn that same groove into a beat that sounds 10x better just because you've got the technology they never had. The other side of that coin it also trains your ear as far as knowing what to look for when you're out digging on your own.

As far as listening, I really don't think it does a lot of good. You gotta go hands on. I think everyone who listens to hip hop hears things they think would make a good beat, but that's the easy half of the equation. The key is being able to hear a lot of dope music and know instantly why you shouldn't bother with something 99% of the time you drop the needle.

Also, Just Blaze is my favorite producer and there's some good inside type shit with him on youtube. Really smart dude and you can learn a lot from him technique, approach and career wise. A lot of people have produced some great shit then disappeared but he's someone I really look up to as far as staying relevant along with every new wave of kids that adopt the new technology.

There's some good related videos out there if you start with him too. Even if Kanye isn't your bag watching him feel out samples is worthwhile.
thanks a lot! could you name some of the songs you recreated? i will most probably try it

Sampling bible:

J Dilla - Donuts

Other albums you should check out:

Madvillain - Madvillainy
GZA - Liquid Swords
Method Man - Tical
Wu tang - Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers)
Alchemist - Russian Roullette
Alchemist & Action Bronson - Rare Chandeliers
Alchemist & Prodigy - Albert Einstein
Stepbrothers - Lord Steppington
Action Bronson & Party Supplies - Blue Chips 1 & 2
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights
NAS - Illmatic
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Charles Hamilton - The Pink Lavalamp
Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
Rapsody - The Idea of Beautiful
Ab-Soul - Long Term 2

Sampling bible:

J Dilla - Donuts

Other albums you should check out:

Madvillain - Madvillainy
GZA - Liquid Swords
Method Man - Tical
Wu tang - Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers)
Alchemist - Russian Roullette
Alchemist & Action Bronson - Rare Chandeliers
Alchemist & Prodigy - Albert Einstein
Stepbrothers - Lord Steppington
Action Bronson & Party Supplies - Blue Chips 1 & 2
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights
NAS - Illmatic
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Charles Hamilton - The Pink Lavalamp
Kendrick Lamar - #Section.80
Rapsody - The Idea of Beautiful
Ab-Soul - Long Term 2
thanks a lot!!! what's your opinion on Havoc's - 13 ? Whould u include it in this list? I think there are some hot productions in it

Just listen to what u think would sound good.... I mean if ur listening just to see how they sampled...
It then becomes a job...

If you listen to artist u like or albums that u feel u can get into then ur just listening to music u enjoy...
Which will help u listen more closely...
Rather then just pickin random songs from random albums from artist u dnt know...
N sitting there listening for what tracks u think sound good for u to pick apart...

Its like me asking a rock head.. whats ur favorite artist and albums with guitar riffs...
So i can study them in learn the guitar...
If i have no love for it exactly wit will show in my music...
Does this make sense... i tried to make it as easy to understand...

All depends on what you're looking to do and what you're specific sound is.

Me personally I'm a huge Mobb Deep fan, favorite group of all time. I love that sound so I've always studied producers in that field.

Alchemist is my favorite producer of all time, I love those dark grimy raw beats. Some people might frown and think why, but that's just what I like.

thanks a lot!!! what's your opinion on Havoc's - 13 ? Whould u include it in this list? I think there are some hot productions in it

To be honest I haven't heard it yet, but I've always liked Havoc's production, so I wouldn't be surprised if it would make the list.

check out that new freddie gibbs album "pinata". it has some great use of sampling.

I love that album a lot, great production by Madlib. The whole sound of the album goes perfectly with Freddie's smooth vocals.

Back