Asr-10 ground noise problem

iHaveQuestions

Ok, I'm having problems with ground noise.

My set up looks like this:

Turntable -> Mixer -> Asr-10

I think the noise is coming from the Gemini PMX60 mixer. When I plug it in alone I hear the noise.

I think the only option would be to replace the mixer...I try grounding it, it does not work.

For a replacement I was thinking a phono preamp...Does anyone use a phono preamp with the ASR-10? If you do which brand and model do use?

I'm a little hesitant about a phono preamp because of the fact that I can only control the volume so much, being that some come with no output volume control knobs or just one. & with the ASR-10 there is no "record in" knob like there is with the MPC that would allow me to boost signal.
So i would need a phono preamp that can just get me to the levels before clipping..

The ASR10 has a Mic/Line switch as well as an adjustable Input Level dial.
That gives you all the level control you need.

As for your current noise problem, it just sounds like gain staging.

The ASR10 has a Mic/Line switch as well as an adjustable Input Level dial.
That gives you all the level control you need.

As for your current noise problem, it just sounds like gain staging.

I adjusted the input level & I was able to remove some ground noise. But there is some there is you listen closely. Is this acceptable or should all noise be removed? Also when I connected to a mixer, the Mic/Line switch should be on Line correct?

Attached is a phono preamp I'm thinking about buying.

Attachments

• 81MUwYM8hQL._SL1500_.jpg
    81MUwYM8hQL._SL1500_.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 4
You need a phono preamp simply because it has the RIAA Equalisation circuit in it that re-emphasises the bass and de-emphasises the treble of the signal

Noise itself can be down to several different issues: without audio I would not even hazard a guess as to whether it is gain staging, ground loop or other power borne problems

so an audio example of the noise issue would help immensely to identify the type and source

specific model numbers for your gear would also help (i.e what is your turntable?)

Disconnect all inputs from the mixer except headphones and see if you hear the noise. If you hear the noise, it is your mixer... Might try a new power cord.
if not, plug each device input in one at a time until you hear the noise come in to determine what is causing the noise. I get it time to time mainly bc my turntable ground wire was loose.
At the moment I only use a phono preamp for sampling from my turntable to my EPS 16+ and it works just fine. It is a PHILMORE STEREO PHONO PREAMP for $18 at Frys. It's nothing fancy by any means but it does the trick.

You need a phono preamp simply because it has the RIAA Equalisation circuit in it that re-emphasises the bass and de-emphasises the treble of the signal

Noise itself can be down to several different issues: without audio I would not even hazard a guess as to whether it is gain staging, ground loop or other power borne problems

so an audio example of the noise issue would help immensely to identify the type and source

specific model numbers for your gear would also help (i.e what is your turntable?)

I suppose I would have to record the hum into some daw and upload it correct? If so, I'm going to buy FL Studio next week so I can.

I have a Gemini PMX60, Techniques Turntable SL1210 MK2 and Grado Needle....

Disconnect all inputs from the mixer except headphones and see if you hear the noise. If you hear the noise, it is your mixer... Might try a new power cord.
if not, plug each device input in one at a time until you hear the noise come in to determine what is causing the noise. I get it time to time mainly bc my turntable ground wire was loose.
At the moment I only use a phono preamp for sampling from my turntable to my EPS 16+ and it works just fine. It is a PHILMORE STEREO PHONO PREAMP for $18 at Frys. It's nothing fancy by any means but it does the trick.

Yea I unplugged everything and found out it was the mixer. I unplugged all wires and even plugged the mixer into a different outlet in another room and heard the noise.

The Philmore Stereo Preamp, does it have an output level knob control? The reason I ask is because I found out the more I have to rely on the input level knob on the back of the ASR-10 the more I hear the noise/hum.

having established that the noise problem is in the Gemini, I now have to ask what is the rating on the wall wart of the Gemini?

According to the manual, it should be 15V 7.5A making a power rating of 112.5VA (W); the other numbers whether 120V or 230V are irrelevant to the question as they are the wall side of the power equation.

As for whether the phono preamp has a volume knob or not I think that you will find without the Gemini in place the issue with the asr10 is not as prevalent as you think

having established that the noise problem is in the Gemini, I now have to ask what is the rating on the wall wart of the Gemini?

According to the manual, it should be 15V 7.5A making a power rating of 112.5VA (W); the other numbers whether 120V or 230V are irrelevant to the question as they are the wall side of the power equation.

As for whether the phono preamp has a volume knob or not I think that you will find without the Gemini in place the issue with the asr10 is not as prevalent as you think

Yes it says 15 V on the back of the mixer.

Thanks for everybody replies....

not interested in what the mixer says but what the wall wart says - if your wall wart does not match the values I gave above that is the cause of your noise problem

i.e. long known fact amongst electronics engineers is that if you try to pull the same power from a lower rated power source (lower voltage or current without the other value being increased accordingly) you will cause ripples or noise on the power lines going out of it as the device attempts to produce the correct values sought by the sink/load

e.g. the two numbers quoted were 15V and 7.5A. If we multiply these we get the power the device is rated to deliver 112.5W (VA)

Change the current to 6A and keep it at 15V the power delivered is now 90W (VA); however the sink/load for the power, the mixer, still expects to get 7.5A and so will try to pull the current up to that level.

The mixer in this case expects 15V AC, which means that it is generating its own dc lines internally - in the process of converting the poorly sourced current at the given voltage, it introduces ripples into the dc lines and causes noise throughout the device as a result.

It may also be that the ripple smoothing capacitors for the power supply inside the mixer are not large enough, you can check this with an electronics technician locally, usually adding more to the circuit fixes the issue....

Back