asr-10?

K

King Zulu

Ive never laid my hands on an asr-10 and i know that its a pretty old keyboard but i notice that most of the big producers still use it, what is about this keyboard that makes it so good and what keyboard thats now in the market is similar to this one?:monkey:

It's really used as a sampler, not a keyboard, and there aren't really any keyboards on the market today that are like it, because it's used for the specific sound it gives to the samples (a crunchy, fat sound). This is why it's used so much, that sound is perfect for hip-hop. Keyboards and samplers nowdays are clean and crisp, but not dirty and warm.

The Asr 10 had some really great filters and great effects to. I use to love my Asr, but the disc drive doesn't work anymore. I use a Motif Es now. It doesn't have the same "tonal color" as the ASR, but it will get the job done, and there are ways to make it sound "dirty".

codexlf said:
It's really used as a sampler, not a keyboard, and there aren't really any keyboards on the market today that are like it, because it's used for the specific sound it gives to the samples (a crunchy, fat sound). This is why it's used so much, that sound is perfect for hip-hop.

Very true. 'Has a lotta history behind it.

Do they even still manufacture the ASR-10 or is it done with?

they are done, but there are plenty to go around since a million people got rid of them before they became popular for hip-hop ("this old thing... nobody'll ever use this, we have newer samplers now")

bOUNCE! said:
Very true. 'Has a lotta history behind it.

Do they even still manufacture the ASR-10 or is it done with?
they have been done for like 10 years. The company that developed one of their chips it went out of business and the board went wtih it. They tried to recreate it in the asrx but it wasnt the same

codexlf said:
they are done, but there are plenty to go around since a million people got rid of them before they became popular for hip-hop ("this old thing... nobody'll ever use this, we have newer samplers now")
hip hop thrives on old gear too thats the beauty of the genre

Last edited:
The ASR 10 was actually made by a company in Pennsylvania, just outside of Philadelphia (Malvern) called Ensoniq. Ensoniq was a tremendous pain in Emu's ass for years. They made a lot of products that were very competitive with Emu, but cost a lot less. Not long after the ASR 10 was released, Emu dropped it's prices on the Emax, which was their equivalent of an ASR 10. When I bought my ASR 10, the salesman was trying to give me a deal on the Emax 2 so that I would buy that instead, but I HATED Emu at the time becuase their prices were simply too high, so I bought the ASR. At that time, people weren't really using the ASR for hip hop. To be honest, a lot of people that I knew who did music at the time thought that I was crazy for buying it, but I knew that it was the one to get, and that it would be a good sampler for hip hop.

Anyway, Ensoniq was later bought out by Emu. I wasn't very happy about the deal, but they promised to keep supporting Ensoniq devices. It wasn't long after this that Creative Labs bought out Emu, and that was the end of support for all Ensoniq products. My ASR 10 is in my garage collecting dust. The disc drive doesn't work, and it isn't a standard 3.5 floppy so I can't replace it. I never did have the SCSI interface, and with all of the trouble that my zip disc drives are giving me with my MPC 3000, I don't think I would want one anyway.

Well, that's the end of my history lesson for today. I hope you all took notes. There will be a test!!!!!!

:hello:

Last edited:
man I'd be getting those ASR-10's fixed...where there is a will, theres a way. Plus, even without a drive, couldn't you sample into RAM real quick, and then quickly dump it to computer, so you could still color your sound?

..and yeah, like J burner, if anyone wants to sell me a broken one, hit me up on PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a drive, you can't do anything. You have to boot it up from a drive. You can't get parts anymore. There is no one that can fix them now. Look it up online and let me know what you come up with.

Last edited:
Is it better than a mpc 2000xl?????

Im debating on what to buy as my frist sampler????

Jswagger said:
Is it better than a mpc 2000xl?????

Im debating on what to buy as my frist sampler????

not the ASR-10, unless you want to add repairs and hassle to the already tough job of learning your first sampler. Not to mention the asr-10 has keys, and the MPC has pads...it's a different animal man.

Back