Anybody ever feel bad about looping something?

I don't know about yall but i feel sooo guilty when i loop something, no matter how dope the beat turns out. Like I like nicely chopped beats but it's rarely done to *my* preference so i usually end up like manipulating the **** out of a sound so the end result sounds nothing like the original. I love the odd shit you can do with a vocal sample, but in the end rappers tend to stray away from things like that. I get producer props often but cant find a rapper who won't flake out on a beat. How do you all feel about, sampling in general?

I can't stand loops.
To me it's a waste of a sample to not get in there and really chop it up but to each his/her own.

Peace

You do what the idea in your head calls for. Sometimes it takes more genius to know all you need to do is loop something than it takes to chop it, stretch it, reverse it, and have someone resing the hook over it. Lol. :cheers:

Depends on the song, the sample, the artist, etc. Especially the first two. I tend to loop more, I need to get in the habit of chopping it more. It's not a bad thing. It's still an art form, whether people like it or not, but it's a lot better in most cases if you can chop it even more so, not always though, a good amount of the time loops are dope. Obviously it can be redundant though.

I honestly prefer looped beats rather than the same old spacey ass chops that are wack as **** but tend to be labeled as an "original production style that's extremely dope"

There's a lot you can do when looping to still make it original and having your stamp on it..
I'll loop if it sounds tight.. Sometimes I like chopping up 4 bars of a sample into 16 pads, and ****ing with the ADSR on them.. I find it sounds tight.

It depends..i loop a bit but if i find something that just would sound absolutely dope chopped up into a trillion pieces,ill sit for hours making it just right.You shouldn't feel bad about it tho.hip hop was built from loops.

Loop that shit, if that's what made you sample it in the first place. The goal is good music. People go overboard with the chopping and it sounds terrible...Only other producers who do that shit like it...If you chop it up into a bunch of pieces, you should be rearranging it so it sounds like it's not chopped in the end. It shouldn't sound like you ruined the sample "on beat". Too many people chop for the sake of chopping and ruin perfectly good samples.

Last edited:
watever thoughts i have is wat ill end up doing.. objective is to make it sound good looped or chopped doesnt matter

.Only other producers who do that shit like it...If you chop it up into a bunch of pieces, you should be rearranging it so it sounds like it's not chopped in the end.

So i guess only cats that loop like other cats that loop right?Foh.
It's more of a challenge to chop a sample and rearrange it to where it sounds like it's not chopped.
If you think looping is more creative or harder,then you're just wrong.

Peace

Last edited:
So i guess only cats that loop like other cats that loop right?Foh.
It's more of a challenge to chop a sample and rearrange it to where it sounds like it's not chopped.
If you think looping is more creative or harder,then you're just wrong.

Peace

Reading comprehension...

Don't tell me you're one of those dudes who chops a sample into a million pieces just so you can go on producer sites and say you chopped it into a million pieces.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension...

Don't tell me you're one of those dudes who chops a sample into a million pieces just so you can go on producer sites and say you chopped it into a million pieces.

Nope.I started off chopping small and still continue to do it.
Shoot me a link to your music if you don't mind.

Peace

Nevermind i guess you fixed the link.
And this is why i asked because you took offense to chopping vs looping and since this board is
about music,i wanted to HEAR where you stood.

Peace

Last edited:
i loop sometimes, sometimes its just better to leave it alone, ofcourse i add drums & some other stuff, but chopping doesnt always make it better, but then again i sample almost never

Nevermind i guess you fixed the link.
And this is why i asked because you took offense to chopping vs looping and since this board is
about music,i wanted to HEAR where you stood.

Peace

I didn't take offense, you read my post wrong and YOU took offense. I never said there was anything wrong with chopping...As you can see from my page I do it all the time... My point was that a lot of people chop just for the sake of chopping and it usually ruins the sample. The point of chopping is to come up with something BETTER than just a loop. If you can't do that, loop it or find a different sample.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you.
It is what it is.

Peace

Indeed. You think it is a waste of a sample to loop it. I think it is a waste of a sample to chop it when it doesn't need to be chopped.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Back