An Alternative For Mpc..

Sin_Beatz

Hi FP,

I was wondering if theres any alternative to the mpc (WHICH IS AS GOOD) or is that not possible?

I post this thread as i dont have enough money for an MPC.

I have an MPD-18 And i personally think its a load of Sh**.

Thanks In Advance!

the saying goes: Its not what you have its how you use it...

I think you should learn how to use it well with software. There's some great tutorials on this site or youtube on use with NI Battery or Groove Agent

Don't let your frustrations lead you to give up! Do the research!

You should do well with the MPD-18 and I would advise you to stay away from hardware for starters, because a software setup is much cheaper and gets you pretty far. Once you can hear the difference between an MPC and samples recorded into a PC, then I would reconsider and MPC 60 or SP1200 for example. Other than that you should be set with your MPD-18 and now you just need to LEARN HOW TO NEED IT.

Cheers, PROT

man a mpd with ur software is just as good as an mpc. i dont know about the 18, but i got a 16 and 32 and set them up with reason and im lovin it. u turn up that release and bang away like theres no tomorrow. what makes the mpd18 **** anyway?

Hi FP,

I was wondering if theres any alternative to the mpc (WHICH IS AS GOOD) or is that not possible?

I post this thread as i dont have enough money for an MPC.

I have an MPD-18 And i personally think its a load of Sh**.

Thanks In Advance!
i always chop in cooledit first then fl slicer - the best - i can always chop the way i want in it nomatter what - in edison i have trouble not use to it - love cool edit =

i think the best alternative is fl 9 rewired with reason 4 an regroove with mpd 18 use reason for drums an use the fl slicer like an mpc slicer -bamm ur in business i use this to my advantage - all my fellow rewired cats aint speaken up bout this secret cause not many know bout it -(regroove makes reason sound exactly like an mpc )-
an the automatic quantize makes me feel like i got an mpc again !

Last edited:
i took a few minutes in the fl slicer and maybe i didnt take enough time with it but it seemed like it was only going to auto chop the sample which is all well and good when u have a 2 or 4 bar perfect loop but thats not how i get down usually. im guessing thats where edison comes in? i dont know, didnt really want to get too involved, just checkin it out really and it wasnt what i expected.

i took a few minutes in the fl slicer and maybe i didnt take enough time with it but it seemed like it was only going to auto chop the sample which is all well and good when u have a 2 or 4 bar perfect loop but thats not how i get down usually. im guessing thats where edison comes in? i dont know, didnt really want to get too involved, just checkin it out really and it wasnt what i expected.

Use The Slicex In Fruity Loops, Thats Alot Better For Gettin Clearer Chops

And i dont lyk the MPD-18 because u have to liturally punch the pads to get them to play, im serious, my nails wer basically broken afta usin it, plus the latency issue (which ino is my pc) is pissin me off lol

And i dont lyk the MPD-18 because u have to liturally punch the pads to get them to play, im serious, my nails wer basically broken afta usin it, plus the latency issue (which ino is my pc) is pissin me off lol

i think you havent spend enough time with the manual!

you can change the velocity/sensitivity of the pads and that should take care of the punching of the pads.

m21m is right about the drivers. you gotta get asio drivers for your sound card and there's also latency settings in the daw.

The thing alot of ppl don't understand is you don't have to auto-chop with the fl slicer. Honestly, it's not one of my tools of choice but, I have used it. You can slice chops in the smaller window that has the wave pattern by right clicking and removing or splitting slices. It's actually very fast & convenient. And this is on FL7, I can't speak for 8 or 9. Edison is much better in my opinion, but only b/c it's bigger and you can really stretch out the wave pattern & pinpoint those chops. Sometimes, I chop a sample in Edison & then drag it into the Slicer to chop it up even more to have more control over the sample in my keyboard. I started out with a MPD 24 (still use it from time to time) you can also just drag the samples to the FPC in FL and you good.
For the thread starter though, as far as banging the pads, on the MPD24 there's button for full level & 16 levels make sure its on full to have full velocity no matter how hard you hit the pad. That may be it.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
fl slicer - u can chop in it- u click on the slice in fl slicer then click split slice this is if u want to chop more in fl slicer an dont want to drag it to edison - edison is like an mpc slicer - i use it when i want to chop it myself -set markers then drag to fl slicer bamm that easy - fl slicer is good for even chops on 1/4/1/8/1/16/1/32/1/64 notes jus like an mpc so do get thrown off fl slicer is sick wit it-

aye sin beats i was wondering - if ur using the mpd 18 with reason 4 or jus with fl studio 9 - cause im interested in buying one but dont got enough knoledge bout it -

im most likely going buy test it out then if dont like then ,i'll most likely get the mpd 26 cause thats what im lookin one or the other - but i love the mpd 26 ,it looks damn too damn good will see -

Last edited:

ah, yes, akai still havent done anything for that issue.. pad modding is a must IMHO. see my previous threads for more info about that.

:cheers:

ah, yes, akai still havent done anything for that issue.. pad modding is a must IMHO. see my previous threads for more info about that.

:cheers:

Is there the same problem with the MPC? and im prefferably looking for an mpc based machine so like i dont have to use the pc because my pc is not good at all. I want a machine u can use on its own..

replace ur computer then! man i been tryna help you out. but ur like sooooooooooo clearly not getting it.

ur wasting ur time and money if you go out and buy a mpc. its not a better set up just diffrent work flow then a daw based system. you already have all that midi equipment and the right software.

if you cant tackle something as small as a latency problem without thinking going out and purchasing a whole new set up is the answer. then no offense, but production just might not be for you fam.

im not tryna be mean. ive gave you informative responses in your neumerous threads reguarding ur issue. but ur not listening..... and as producers thats what were suppose to be best at. 'listening' that is.

ps. i still think its something as easy as updating ur asio drivers.

Last edited:
replace ur computer then! man i been tryna help you out. but ur like sooooooooooo clearly not getting it.

ur wasting ur time and money if you go out and buy a mpc. its not a better set up just diffrent work flow then a daw based system. you already have all that midi equipment and the right software.

if you cant tackle something as small as a latency problem without thinking going out and purchasing a whole new set up is the answer. then no offense, but production just might not be for you fam.

im not tryna be mean. ive gave you informative responses in your neumerous threads reguarding ur issue. but ur not listening..... and as producers thats what were suppose to be best at. 'listening' that is.

i agree - if u want to waist money on a mpc that will build dust - jus upgrade to a nice pc there cheaper an more faster with more memory you can get a laptop for bout 300$ at best buy or walmart jus soak in as much knoledge b4 u buy cause u dont want to get something u want need in the long runn --

pc sounds like the answer

Last edited:
Is there the same problem with the MPC? and im prefferably looking for an mpc based machine so like i dont have to use the pc because my pc is not good at all. I want a machine u can use on its own..
sounds like you just want a sampler. Mpcs are not the only option out there and aren't even the best out there imo. If you want a dope sampler there are tons of options. Before the Mpcs people were using the akai S950s w/ the SP1200. The Sp1200s are still pricey and aren't worth the effort but the S950s and the S3000s imo are great machines. If you want something to use standalone try an ASR10, EPS, Roland W30, or the variety of other samplers out there. Personally I find the Akais to be great sequencers hell great machines all around I own a mpc 2000 but I wouldnt trade my EPS for a Mpc.

Last edited:

Yh, Statixx your help has been great and i've understood the latency issue and have ordered an audio interface. I'm not sayin i dont lyk the MPD due to that. But i liturally have to punch the pads to get them to work, some1 suggested i read the manual, but this only came with a health and safety manual? So i am trying to take peoples advise but sometimes there advise doesnt help my issue. Its not as easy for me to just go out and buy a gd pc, im 17 from a single parent family. Plus with the asio drivers, ive updated to the current asio driver, set it in FL9 but have had no sound back? So believe me i am trying to take peoples advise, i just take it and it doesnt help my situation. And producing is for me, I havent just started - ive been doing it for around 2 years with just my mouse and fl9 and have made hot beats, im just looking to take it that step further. But once again, thanks for all your help. You have helped believe me!

Back