Already Used Samples...

Pencilcase

Artistic Toolbox
Whattup FP, I have a question for y'all. I've been searching for songs to sample (even tho I never liked sampled much), and found 3 great songs to sample, the problem is: they have already been used by quite famous artists...such as Twista... do you sample songs that have already been used? Isn't it like repeating something even if you had the same idea? Why?

Thank you all for your time.

To be honest, I don't think it matters. There's more to a track than the sample, and depending on the way in which you flip the sample, the outcome can be completely different. Obviously if it's a straight cut of a particular loop and one of the 'famous artists' did exactly the same thing, then that's a different story.

If you like the sample, use it!

Well, one of the tracks that I was sampling was a badass electronic loop, but it has been used already soooo the outcome would be very similiar. Each time I find a new useful song, I search to see if somebody has already sampled it and I'm quite unlucky. I'm not that worried with short samples, such as vocals, basses, etc. because you can make a lot of things with them.
I'm not sure if I can do better then the famous songs, I'm still looking for more samples, and the famous song basically used a loop.

It's funny because I don't feel alright when I loop samples, because it's too easy and because it feels like you didn't really produce the track you know...

Well, one of the tracks that I was sampling was a badass electronic loop, but it has been used already soooo the outcome would be very similiar. Each time I find a new useful song, I search to see if somebody has already sampled it and I'm quite unlucky. I'm not that worried with short samples, such as vocals, basses, etc. because you can make a lot of things with them.
I'm not sure if I can do better then the famous songs, I'm still looking for more samples, and the famous song basically used a loop.

It's funny because I don't feel alright when I loop samples, because it's too easy and because it feels like you didn't really produce the track you know...

You should treat it as a challenge and try to out do who ever sampled it already. That the mind state producers use to have, rappers too except with their lyrics. I use to be a lot more cut throat.

You should treat it as a challenge and try to out do who ever sampled it already. That the mind state producers use to have, rappers too except with their lyrics. I use to be a lot more cut throat.

Yup I got the same mentality.. flip it anyway you can. Add your own sounds. The creativity is unlimited.

I think its pretty fun to try out do someone, but honestly sometimes I'll just sample a song without looking to see if anyone else has sampled it. I don't want to risk being subconsciously influenced, it just ruins it for me.

Flip bro, i dont really care if someone sample, if i want to sample something i sample even if is close of the famous flip, i put my own sounds my own mixing. "The creativity is unlimited"

Totally agree with the comments here, creativity has no bounders!
And yes, I add my own sounds to it, put some loops are soooo complete that you barely have to add anything besides sound effects!
I do agree with MMRTLK, either you want it or not, you'll be influenced by the other song :S (that's why I didn't even check some of them xP)

And well, I'm into making dope songs for own use, and outdoing other producers is not my objective right now! XD

I think this is another vote towards crate digging you will find some odd ball shit in the crates that a lot of hip hop producers (especially these days) will skip over.

i don't know if this has been said, but sampling to me is sort of like graffiti...... don't go over someones burner or throw up unless you are better.

I say sample it and go in a different direction with your version. So many tracks I've sampled have been sampled before but to make things interesting, I try approaching these used samples in a way I'd image one of my favorite producers would approach it. For example, my track 'Get Money' has the same sample as a J Dilla track and an Above The Law track but instead of flippin' the sample like them, I flipped the sample like how I imagined Bangladesh would

I have to agree with a majority of the comments on here. I really don't care if a sampled was used before just for the fact that I know I'll work it a different way then most people would.

As long as you use your own techniques and style, it will probably come out way different than the other track. and if not, you can always choose not to release it

if good music comes out well then it's good music! don't force anything or make it sound like the beat, but see what comes to mind to you. you may flip the sample totally different.

I feel like people need to start looking for samples out of the stereotypical Classic Soul/R&B mix. Instead of picking up a Earth Wind and Fre sample try some brazilian music or jazz music and make that into a hit record

someone propably said this already, but i dont think it matters even if it's been used by famous artist. be creative with the sample. chop it into smaller pieces, create new compositions, etc... put your own twist in it.

Back