youtube vs vinyl can you tell the difference?

can you tell the difference

• both are from vinyl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both options Via the Internet will sound the same. An ACTUAL VINYL RECORDING WILL SOUND BETTER. The difference being that it hasn't been digitally converted to a sample rate i.e. 44.1k 16 bit which is CD quality. The reason why Vinyl will always sound better is because of the sample rate, which if the Vinyl was cut earlier than digital recording will remain in tact. Making analog recordings infinitely more precise and accurate as opposed to digital audio. (this has to do with analog magnetic tape as opposed to hard drives and digital audio)

Therefor, Youtube vs another digital copy of audio more than likely won't have much of a difference. The sample rate on the digital copy might be higher, like 48k 24 bit. Altogether, the difference in digital audio can be very hard to hear. For the record, i would always suggest using 48k 24 bit for the sake of being able to size down if required. You always want to hear you mixes as HQ as possible! (There are higher sample rates and bit depths available, but not all Digital Audio Converters can operate under them. the mbox mini can only go to 48k!)

Your solution? Record your samples into a DAW that can record at HQ sample rates (higher than 44.1k 16 bit) because you can always back track on the quality of the sound if you need to. you can't ADD quality to a recording.

Finally, if its an mp3 you're basically shooting yourself in the foot for an unimaginable amount of reasons. Don't. Use. Them. unless of course, you have to.

This is from my stand point. In terms of a project studio, just for fun, or even just simple usage of audio it really isn't a big deal. A regular non critical person wouldn't be able to tell the difference, so its all personal preference my man. Choose wisely!

drum role please....

33.33% Said only option 1 is from vinyl
50.00% said only option 2 is from vinyl
0.0% said both are from vinyl
16.67% said both are from youtube

and...
they are both from this youtube. option 1 at 240p and option to at 480p

Last edited:
So really they both originally came from vinyl and were then compressed to YouTube format, hence why I didn't vote.

and thats why i was saying in the other thread that it didnt make that much of a difference

but according to the posts half of us didn't believe that it was vinyl at all. It didn't have the sound lol. Sounded more like a cd rip vs a mp3

It does make a difference depending on the condition of the record and the hardware chain used to sample that record.

I said in the first reply both were from youtube.

It makes a huge difference IMO. If I have the time later I'll record a break directly from vinyl and upload to youtube and back and put up the wavs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back