Your favourite funk 45's

OLSatG

What are you guys favourite funk 45's. I'm sure you've all come across many from your sampling exploits, but which ones are definate keepers for you. Short descriptions would be nice.

First me,

Third Guitar - Baby Don't Cry - Basically a great driving beat with bassline while Mr. Holloway screams for all he is worth over the top. 2 great breaks also. Now re-issued on Jazzman.

well i dont have any records, but i plan to be collecting a few after i get a turntable. i just use some funk records i find online for grooves to play along with. they help me improve my skills.

what do you store your 45's in?

Anything Rufus Thomas, Lyrics in push it,pull it is probably would probably make it my favorite joint though. But definitely, hang on to anything Rufus Thomas. The horns are so dope.

All of my James Brown 45s make me incredibly happy and they are all treasures. The godfather is something of an acquired taste (when I first heard him, I hated him), but once you get down with his style, you will find yourself listening to hip hop and picking out the James Brown.

"It's Just Begun" by the Jimmy Castor Bunch is a classic and for good reason. This is another track that I have heard sampled many, many times. This track has been reissued on at least three occasions since 1972, but do yourself a favour and find the full length. It is a masterpiece.....

I am also a big big fan of the Roadrunners and, in my opinion, "Every Man for Himself" is a great 45. The flip has "No Names will be Called"...

What about some AZ funk? Dyke and the Blazers? Only true funkheads and vinyl addicts will know about this. Can anyone name one of their songs without searching the net????

JunkOne said:
What about some AZ funk? Dyke and the Blazers? Only true funkheads and vinyl addicts will know about this. Can anyone name one of their songs without searching the net????

This is rather bizarre.....I bought a bunch of Dyke and the Blazers just this past weekend. I showed up to a garage sale and got to buy 150 LPs and 100 45s for $60 Canadian. I actually felt bad, but the guy who owned it seemed really glad to be selling it to someone who was going to love it.

So, its not really fair if I answer the D&TB side of the question.

And AZ Funk? Honestly, I have never heard of them.....

^^^thats a sweet score. damn.

I might have to check some more garage sales....that one wouldnt have happened to be in Toronto would it?

last garage sale i checked they were just shutting down so they gave me a bunch of records...probably about 15-20...Deodato's Prelude being the best of the bunch.

as far as 45s go...i gotsta admit im out of the loop...but i know lee fields dropped some really ill ish back in the day...which is next to impossible to come across now...dont remeber the name of the track though.

i copped a bunch of 45s out of the trunk of some cats car in rexdale once too...best of them was ohio players - funky worm...also hella stax 45s.

Funky Drummer
Don't Change Your Love
The Clapping Song
I Am The Walrus

...and anything by Mike Curb Congregation, got one called 'Nixon Now' that rocks.

JunkOne said:

nah i meant Dyke and The Blazers are from Arizona (AZ) where im from. :D

Dyke and the Blazers aren't really as crazy rare as you're thinking man. I believe their big hit was Funky Broadway and they also had an LP called So Sharp. I think they were both repressed recently, too. They are pretty damn good, though.

s1ks said:
^^^thats a sweet score. damn.

I might have to check some more garage sales....that one wouldnt have happened to be in Toronto would it?

No, it was in a buzzling Metropolis in the funkiest province of 'em all - Saskatchewan. =)

Garage sales are, in my opinion, the best places to find vinyl. I have found that it pays to show up very early and just do a quick perusal through the vinyl. Then, start talking to the people running the show. My favourite opener is "Wow, nice collection of vinyl! I'm sure it is hard to see it go!"

That usually gets people talking - people love to talk about their music collections. You will always hear something like, "We don't have a working turntable so it doesn't make sense to keep it in the basement." And then, you sell it with, "You know I didn't get a great look at your records, but you seem to have good taste in music so I would be willing to walk away with the whole stack right now......."

I have worked this 'racket' for the last few summers and have found some great records. Unfortunately, I now own enough John Cougar Mellencamp to make me wish I was tone deaf, but you take the bad wih the good =)

big timothy said:
Dyke and the Blazers aren't really as crazy rare as you're thinking man. I believe their big hit was Funky Broadway and they also had an LP called So Sharp. I think they were both repressed recently, too. They are pretty damn good, though.

It doesnt say rare in the thread homie. It says FAVORITE ! Dont make me get on the rare tip.....i know whats up.

There is nothing more pathetic than a bunch of diggers who have to front on what they consider 'superior knowledge' of the obscure.

JunkOne said:
Only true funkheads and vinyl addicts will know about this. Can anyone name one of their songs without searching the net????

I guess you didn't say it, but you certainly inferred it. I'm not doubting your knowledge either. It sounds like you definitely know your stuff.

big timothy said:
I guess you didn't say it, but you certainly inferred it. I'm not doubting your knowledge either. It sounds like you definitely know your stuff.

true i can see how you could that from my quote. my bad.

Ghowell said:
There is nothing more pathetic than a bunch of diggers who have to front on what they consider 'superior knowledge' of the obscure.

Nothing more pathetic than people who think they are a salesman and can brownnose to get buddy buddy with record dealers. :victory:

Last edited:
Back