Are you looking for soul samples???

Mako

Here's a website that i found that has tons of artists that have done and still do soul/R&B music. If you already know about this site it's cool but i've come across so many producers (especially the younger ones) who have know idea what names to look for when sample digging. Hope this helps!

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk

if cats dont know the music then they definately should not be trying to sample it. sampling is all about sampling the records that you like and that you listen too and wanting to flip it into something new, not just sampling because thats what everyone else is doing and its cool. even when i was a young buck not sampling trying to do music i would try to make up some new **** with some kinda melody of my favorite song. im not just going to sample a random track because thats what everyone else is doing im going to sample it because i listen to it or have listened to it often and i love the track enough to do something else with it.
cool site though.

truehiphop said:
if cats dont know the music then they definately should not be trying to sample it. sampling is all about sampling the records that you like and that you listen too and wanting to flip it into something new, not just sampling because thats what everyone else is doing and its cool. even when i was a young buck not sampling trying to do music i would try to make up some new **** with some kinda melody of my favorite song. im not just going to sample a random track because thats what everyone else is doing im going to sample it because i listen to it or have listened to it often and i love the track enough to do something else with it.
cool site though.

everybody has to start somewhere, so please stop trying to make fake rules that people should follow.

OP thanks for the link... The best thing a beatmaker can do is listen to as much music as possible..

make fake rules? im afraid not. using a certain style sample just because thats what everyone else is using is prob. the lamest thing you can do. your supposed to make music for the love, and out of the things that you love, and if your doing that **** for other people than stop. of course you can expand your listening horizons but just searching for a certain thing to sample just because thats what hot right now is wack and extra phony. and it definately comes out in the persons music. if it suddently became hot to sample country music im definately not going to do that, not saying thers anything wrong with that if thats your thing but its not mine.music is about originality, self expression, and individuality. if thats made up than my name is ronald reagan. and yes everyone does have to start somewhere so if your starting why would you go and try to do something that you know nothing about much less like, instead of starting with something that you love and know like the back of your hand? and if you are trying to get into that type of sampling than maybe you need to sit down,LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN SOME MORE, and study the sh!t out of it, then maybe youll have an understanding of it to the point where you can rock ill instra's if im lying and making these things up then lets have a good look at some examples, madlib, trained jazz musician father was a jazz musician, makes the illest tracks sampled mostly jazz. pete rock, extreme crate digger listener before producer any day. listens to evrything extensively thats why he rocks samples from all kind of weird sh!t. so many more but this is starting to turn into a term paper so im going to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mako

I can certainly understand what you're saying truehiphop but you have to realize that some of us aren't as fortunate as others. I'm a little bit older so my father used to always listen to all that Delfonics, Manhattas, Stacey Latimore, etc. so i feel lucky because most of the samples i hear used in music today, i already know the song that it came from or at least the group or person that sang it. I live in korea now and it amazed me when i said the name "Teddy Pendergrass" and they looked at me like I had crabs growing out of my ears! Also, i know a lot of the younger producers on here, just weren't around when all that soul and stuff was really popular. i'm a seventies kid so i still remember a lot of it but i many of the young bucks don't. anyways, i just put the link up to help those that are here because there were times when i needed help and people have helped me up here on FP so i'm just trying to return the favor. Enjoy it guys!

i feel it doesnt matter wat age range ur in if u can somethin old into somethin new and and make real music out of it i think any and evryone can do it im only 21 and ur sayin bcuz im 21 i dont kno nothin bout old school i grew up on dat my peeps were old school i dont think there should b any restriction

i love soulmusic , and most of the youngsters don't know about those artists... or refuse to listen to that old wack **** .... unless it,s sampled and turned into hiphop with a dope mc on it.. then they'll be like, ok it,s nice. and that,s just plain ignorant!!!

it,s all about respecting u'r elders

now tell me i'm wrong damned

ok i feel u on dat but u cant blame most of these katz for not bein raised on it its probably inspiring them to make trax u cant knock a dream down homie 4real

i'm not tryin to knock any dream down, just letting of some steam that,s all :)

truhiphop i feel you man ... this whole soul sample thing is only getting recognition cuz of what jay z did with the blueprint.. cats have been sampling soul music for years.... long before jay z even had a record deal... ill samples are ill samples.... regardless of any genre.... i sample country and pop music on the regular... cher gets much love from my mpc and turntable as well as barbara streisand.. me and my mc know the worlds to their songs just as well as we know al green's... i stopped looking for r&b records to sample years ago.. i still do sample soul music, but my main objective is to take non r&b music and create some of the illest music i can.... remember, "nobody beats the biz" isn't an soul sample... just as "beautiful struggle" on my myspace page is nowhere near an r&b sample..(not comparing it to marleys' work cuz he's a far superior producer)...

lookin for ****? up yours is where you'll find it.

guy thanks for your link man, im gonna check it out later, maybe there's something NEW to learn.

my apologies to all the mr. "the kids can't do that, those are my samples, im true old school, yeah yeah, gaaang steeerrr" if you're afraid some rook is gonna find a sample that u once loved, and that it'll inspire him, only diff is this boy or girl is gonna flip it 10 times better than you did. well then i'd be posting fake rules too.

:D happy digging
di

truehiphop said:
cool site though.

That's just stupid. I'm almost the opposite. I would never sample my favorite records for the fact that I feel they're fine the way they are. I like to flip almost ANY type of song. It doesn't matter if I've heard of it before or not.

dcondax said:
guy thanks for your link man, im gonna check it out later, maybe there's something NEW to learn.

my apologies to all the mr. "the kids can't do that, those are my samples, im true old school, yeah yeah, gaaang steeerrr" if you're afraid some rook is gonna find a sample that u once loved, and that it'll inspire him, only diff is this boy or girl is gonna flip it 10 times better than you did. well then i'd be posting fake rules too.

:D happy digging
di

you must be sadly mistaken or have a hard time reading, never once did i say anything about age. i was simply talking about the style of music, and how cats only want to sample a certain style just because thats whats popular, had nothing to do with age.
and it just shows your level of musicianship if you dont want to learn about a certain type of music before trying to sample it. thats like some kid that has never listened to jazz before but tries to sample some because he realizes thats what the cool producers at the time are doing, then they get some 3/4 tempo song and try flipping it then it ends up sounds nasty because they dont understand the concept of that time sig. in oppose to someone who has listened to jazz and understands the time then he is able to flip it much easier.
in no way did i bad mouth the posting of this site i think its a tight site. but what i am badmouthing is somone downloading songs and sampling them before they listen to the entire track. that sh!t is pathetic.
if you think im wrong and making up rules go on myspace and youll see all these bogus ass "producers"

truehiphop said:
but what i am badmouthing is somone downloading songs and sampling them before they listen to the entire track. that sh!t is pathetic.

Many producers don't listen to the entire record before they finish the beat. I remember Pete Rock once saying that he listens to the entire record, but there are tons of producers who will just stop after they find the loop they want.

There are no rules. STFU.

i love how all these cats are riding my nuts. never once did i make a rule. when i am saying something it is OBVIOUSLY my opinion and not forced upon anyone. and you say that pete rock says he does listen to the entire record? hmmm?dont you think that shows in his music? hhmmmm? and like i said before, i dont care who you are if you dont listen to the whole song before you go sampling thats dumb. if any of you cats are true diggers than you would know often listen to the whole song you can find a break that 3/4th's the way in. so mister lame abbreviator you shut the F*ck up because you do not know me or anything about me must less heard my music.

its perfectly ok for beatmakers...to go and learn about that music from back in the day...

there is WAY too much drama on these forums, not everyone has to be incredibly original, as long as they like the **** they make. let people do theyre own thing, DAMN!

truehiphop said:
i love how all these cats are riding my nuts. never once did i make a rule. when i am saying something it is OBVIOUSLY my opinion and not forced upon anyone. and you say that pete rock says he does listen to the entire record? hmmm?dont you think that shows in his music? hhmmmm? and like i said before, i dont care who you are if you dont listen to the whole song before you go sampling thats dumb. if any of you cats are true diggers than you would know often listen to the whole song you can find a break that 3/4th's the way in. so mister lame abbreviator you shut the F*ck up because you do not know me or anything about me must less heard my music.

True..............

Don't Even Stress None oF these Dudes the Bottomline is they just want to Sample whatever without Becomin' a Deep And Heavy Music Lover.............

PERIOD..................

So Let em' say whatever.............

and As For Only Listinen' to a Part of the Record You Will MISS ALOT THAT WAY...............ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT DO YOU AND YOU'RE Right there are NO RULES...............

STILL I TRUST THAT If YOU LISTEN TO MOST OR THE ENTIRE RECORD YOU WILL DEVELOP A GREATER EAR AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE ARTIST AND POSSIBILY THE GENRE(to Some Extent)

Itz All Good...............

:D

Back