Wrong to reuse famous samples?

Chris Banks

Whats your take on using samples already flipped for classic HipHop songs?

Every time I look around YouTube for samples to use, I hear something I like, scroll down to see a comment like "this was a great flip by *so & so* on *so & so*'s hit single. "

its almost impossible to find a sample that hasn't been used. Unless it's something foreign and extremely rare, I can assume it's more than likely already been used for some HipHop song.

There are no rules. Its the SONG that matters.
I don't understand why people make up these stupid "code of ethics" they assume they must abide by when it comes to hiphop. If the song is different, who gives a fucc if the sample was flipped before? I find it ironic that so many people try to apply and enforce rules to a genre tbat was built upon a defiance of "rules".

Yeah, man. I do think it's lame if you just loop something that's already been looped for another hip hop song, but it's all good other than that. You can use always a different part of the same sample, chop it or at least use it in a different way from what someone else did. Just be creative and make something that sounds good. No one will care about a sample being used before as long as it still sounds good.

Yeah, I've always had mixed feelings about it myself. Either way we know there'll be criticism for it. I've done it myself, and I've also done reflips or emulate certain producer's styles just for the sake of knowing it's within my capability.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

People who claim to care about what you do in a beat just wanna talk mess.

Treating sampling like synthesis and vice versa, always a good thing. Although it does depend as well on whether or not chopping for the sake of chopping is the best course of action over synthesis or sampling/looping etc.

a lot of the great sampler artists of the past spent a lot of time browsing vinyl bins at pawn shops and record store. EVERYTHING that's on youtube has already been done before; you'd be better off finding rare gems on vinyl or even on CD these days. Used CD stores have a lot of stuff now. And there's always amazon.com for cheap used CD's also.

Last edited:
There are no rules. Its the SONG that matters.
I don't understand why people make up these stupid "code of ethics" they assume they must abide by when it comes to hiphop. If the song is different, who gives a fucc if the sample was flipped before? I find it ironic that so many people try to apply and enforce rules to a genre tbat was built upon a defiance of "rules".

Hit the nail on the head haha.

i think it just depends on what part of the sample ... if its the part i want then no ... i move on ... if theres something else in the sample then yea

a lot of the great sampler artists of the past spent a lot of time browsing vinyl bins at pawn shops and record store. EVERYTHING that's on youtube has already been done before; you'd be better off finding rare gems on vinyl or even on CD these days. Used CD stores have a lot of stuff now. And there's always amazon.com for cheap used CD's also.

I've been thinking about getting a USB turntable. You're right about the CD's/Amazon. We all know half the experience comes from the shopping/digging part. It'd be fun to have a partner to hit some record stores with, get that friendly competitive spirit going.

Last edited:
My own personal rules are if I find a sample I like I look the song up on WhoSampled.com If it's been used by a bunch of producers I listen to see if they used the same parts of the song I was going to use. I they did I usually move on depending on the circumstances. If no ones used the song or the part I was going to use then I sample it. One thing I never do is find out what other producers have sampled and sampling those songs myself. In my opinion that's taking the magic out of sampling.

Discovering new samples is like a treasure hunt. I love the act of digging around for new stuff to use. I don't get why people would want to sample the same old songs that every other producer/beatmaker has done before.

Back