working with samples

drought

Hey fp wats up? so ive noticed that sample producers especially kanye west when he samples a song he will take different parts throughout the song and make a new one with the parts he chopped out. so my question when is when i try doing this and take different parts they dont transition well from 1 sample to another sample. It sounds not smooth and very abrupt. if any 1 gets what im sayning i would love some help with this problem. i use fl and ableton live.

thank u

Sample selection and preparation.

You can have a dope sample and blow it with untidy chops just as you can have clean chops of wack samples...

I took an eight-bar loop from a track yesterday and spent a bit of time chopping it. All the chops are clean. Tidy. But out of the 16 chops (spread out on Maschine's pads in my case) there's probably only 6 or 7 (high estimate) that'll make it onto the beat and only 3 of them that make up the meat of the track I'm working.
But without taking the whole 8-bars there's no way I would've gotten any of it chopped up so clean... There's some gold in there but also some straight up shit that'll never make the tape.

I make sure my sample is cut tight (truncated) too... It's gotta be 'able' to loop nicely before I even begin chopping it up. Once you have a clean loop timestretch to tempo of drums (or intended drums - I use a simplified, quick version of what I intend and then re-do after the flip) and pitch up as appropriate (taste thing - I rarely do this). Then start slicing it up.

if the sample is a piece of music you dig and the loop is clean (can be played over and over and sounds good) and is stretched and pitched to tempo and key you're working in; it make chopping it much much easier.

Whats up? Im new to fp but i've been messing around with live 8 for a while this guy on youtube posted a video that helped me out a lot with cutting samples his name is cutcutta (just type that in the search on youtube) it's the video on kanye west style beats. Im still a newbie but I know that sampling is an art form in itself like Rekordhead said you have to have a ear for what goes together. The timing and the pitch has to be right. I hope this helped

Back