Will someone please explain to me...

He doesn't hold the pads down very long so it's hard to tell how much is on each pad. It seems like he sampled one bass note per pad, but he may have overlapped a bunch of short phrases so that each first note on each pad is different (but still more than one per pad, you know what I mean?)...He also pitched it (it sounded like he said "up"(?), but the final version sounds lower than the original key. Plus, what's cool is the original groove is in 12/8 (triplet feel or 6), but he changed it into 4/4 of course. The fact that the original feel is in triplets gives the parts a little more swing when utilized in a straight backbeat, imho...

GJ

let me see if i get this right... so he finds a phrase...doesnt matter how many bars or if it loops<--- is that right or should it be able to loop... then he puts each note on each pad... im assuming he has it set up someway that each pad cuts each other off? and then just rearranges the phrase how he wants it to be and thats basically it..?

Basically, yeah. I mean (full disclosure), I don't work on an MPC, but it's got to be like other samplers, right? You can control whether each pad is a one-shot or a loop, adjust the sample length, loop length on loops, the sample start and end points, and other parameters (fade-in/out, FX, etc.). So he samples different sections of the opening bass part, assigns to pads, makes them triggers, cuts the samples down to the right length, makes a drum track, plays in his bass notes, voila! What else could there be? Is there something that I'm missing?

GJ

i mean it seems that easy on paper but idk shit seems a whole lot more complicated when i get on the mpc and actually try that shit...idk maybe its just me

What kinds of things have you been working on, on the MPC? Mostly loops?
It does take some time to do the trimming/editing, but it can be done and is pretty fun. If you have an MPC of any kind, I know you can do it; it just might take some time and practice at the chopping aspect. I've got some pretty cheesy samplers, and you can do a lot more with what you've got.

GJ

ive got the loops down its chopping up samples and rearranging them into something new that i cant get... im using an mpc, the ren actually and its really extremely easy to chop with i just dont know where i should be chopping... everything i try to put together just dont sound right and most time sounds corny and robotic type shit... it just dont flow like say that kev brown beat up above../its something with the way i should be chopping it that im getting wrong... i realize that i just gotta find out what it is im missing from the equation.... i realize its not eazy to make good beats otherwise everyone and there momma would be makin them, theres something im missing that i need to make this shit sound right

Hard to say what the isuue is without hearing a beat posted or being there when you're making one. How much music have you been involved with prior to getting the Ren? Do you think it's a musical issue (not sure of what you're doing), or a technical issue (not sure how to use your MPC most effectively)?

GJ

im basically just starting out sampling with the Ren... its basically my first MPC. ive sampled with FL studio before but still have some of the same issues, and its more of a musical issue than a technical one...

OK, then at least for the time being, I think the doctor would prescribe a lot more listening (all kinds of music from all kinds of sources), and continuing to watch video tutorials and things like that, because you will pick-up some tricks and things, even if it isn't immediately.

As for an idea to try that would emulate what he did (I'm pretty sure that you could do this on the Ren, because I can get pretty close on my little Yamaha SU-10 from the 80'z!)-- I really think he is sampling and chopping individual phrases from that section of the tune, but you could also try getting one good, clean note, and assign it to all pads and pitch them up as a scale. Try it, I'm pretty sure you can do that on such an advanced machine. Pitched-up samples will not sound exactly the same as individually played notes, but it gives you another option to try. Then you can fool with creating any kind of line that you want to.

GJ

Think u may be making things a little more complicated than they are..first thing first-u gotta have a good ear for samples in general,and what makes a dope beat,obviously..as far as chopping,I think the best way to learn is to start w records w no drums..be it jazz,soundtracks ,whatever. From there look for joints that have multiple chords that play out for maybe quarter bar,half bar,and one bar lengths...try to get u a good handful of different chords and just start playing around w them over some drums.this will give u a good feel of what its like to rearrange samples into new,original melodies. From there..a good way to go is to try sampling some songs w drums-- with much slower tempos than your drum pattern.make simple chops on the kicks and snares..play around w them by laying the down beat chops over the kicks on your drum pattern,and the snare chops over the snares in your drums...real simple,and actually a really good example of this is like 99% of Apollo browns beats,lol..don't worry about setting endpoints,just have your chops on gate and play around,see what u can come up w...try sampling from.all over the record too-- not just some 2 bar 16th note autochop lameness,get creative...after u get comfortable w this,you'll be able to get more intricate w the chops..you'll not only be learning how to make a beat,but music structure in general,which is a huge factor in being a good beat maker.keep at it...

Last edited:
Think u may be making things a little more complicated than they are..first thing first-u gotta have a good ear for samples in general,and what makes a dope beat,obviously..as far as chopping,I think the best way to learn is to start w records w no drums..be it jazz,soundtracks ,whatever. From there look for joints that have multiple chords that play out for maybe quarter bar,half bar,and one bar lengths...try to get u a good handful of different chords and just start playing around w them over some drums.this will give u a good feel of what its like to rearrange samples into new,original melodies. From there..a good way to go is to try sampling some songs w drums-- with much slower tempos than your drum pattern.make simple chops on the kicks and snares..play around w them by laying the down beat chops over the kicks on your drum pattern,and the snare chops over the snares in your drums...real simple,and actually a really good example of this is like 99% of Apollo browns beats,lol..don't worry about setting endpoints,just have your chops on gate and play around,see what u can come up w...try sampling from.all over the record too-- not just some 2 bar 16th note autochop lameness,get creative...after u get comfortable w this,you'll be able to get more intricate w the chops..you'll not only be learning how to make a beat,but music structure in general,which is a huge factor in being a good beat maker.keep at it...

ok another question do my drums i add to the sample have to match the samples drums or is there a way i could duck the samples drums down???

OK, two different things, as the poster above was suggesting that you look for sections to sample without drums. And "match" can mean a number of things. If you mean beat/tempo-wise, then yes of course they have to line up. If you mean sonically, not necessarily, you can pick sounds that you like and that you think fit, and layer them. Sometimes stacking is actually the best way to get good solid drum sounds.

As to "removing" the drums from an already mixed tune, it is so difficult and beyond where you're at technically right now as to put it in the "impossible" category. Just choose your samples wisely.

GJ

Back