why sample Music? help!!!!!!!!!

SpeakerBully

so ive had my mpc renaissance shit is pretty dope i being that i used to use fruity loops im in love with the Mpc Now btw.

I made a couple of beats for the first time using samples that ive got from some records...

my question is why sample? Can i sale a beat with a sample in it? if you cant make money legally with out the rights or publishing to the song you are sample why do we sample?

or is there something about sampling that im missing?

if i sample the ojays and play the sample backwards could i be sued for this? im just wondering its been on my mind alot and i finally found a web sight were i could relate with other producers so can anyone answer this question for me?

I believe you can make money from your sampled beats if you don't plan to sell commercially, But you must tell the artists you sell them to that they aren't cleared and if they want to go commercial then its up to them to clear the samples

so ive had my mpc renaissance shit is pretty dope i being that i used to use fruity loops im in love with the Mpc Now btw.

I made a couple of beats for the first time using samples that ive got from some records...

my question is why sample? Can i sale a beat with a sample in it? if you cant make money legally with out the rights or publishing to the song you are sample why do we sample?

or is there something about sampling that im missing?

if i sample the ojays and play the sample backwards could i be sued for this? im just wondering its been on my mind alot and i finally found a web sight were i could relate with other producers so can anyone answer this question for me?

sampling was once seen as an art form that should be allowed to prosper; less so these days

the biggest issue is that if the sample you use can be identified then you will have to pay damages and probably lose all rights to the work containing the sample

one of the biggest cons going in the industry is that it is the releasing artists responsibility to secure releases to use samples: this may be how people think the game is played

However, in most cases that go to court, you, the guy who did the sampling can expect to be hit with a suit for failing to advise the artist that there was a sample in the work - for this reason if you want to play the game get a signed release of liability for clearing the sample from the artist you sell to

- good luck with that by the way: if you sold the work to someone else (with or without indemnity clauses related to liability) then you have profited from the use of the sample and can have a separate or joint case brought against you as well

growing up listening to 90's rap music just about every song I listened to was a sampled based beat
and when I first started to make beats I rushed right into sampling
over the years I stopped because of the cost of getting a sampled cleared plus you may never be able to clear a sample
and these artists that are sampled usually try to get way more than the sample is worth in my opinion
some artists like to be sampled and work with artists,producers,and record companies to come to reasonable deal as it is their music and they NEED to be PAID

I still sample for fun
and If I really want to sample and sell a beat
I use Royalty-free samples
that I chop up and such
alot of sampled based producers stay underground and don't really care about selling a beat with a sample and neither does the artist who is only selling a few thousands CDs or songs if that much

which is illegal but is still done everyday

Just sold this track for 700 sampled also played some chords and other instruments over it. You have to sample until the oriignal is unrecognizable. https://soundcloud.com/iamgalaxey/hey-hey (used the same sample 9th wonder did for murs in the rain track.)

I also compose https://soundcloud.com/iamgalaxey/the-real-ism. Sold this for 500

My sampled track sold for more. You have to know the appropriate times to sample and compose and make the sample unrecognizable. Good luck in your endeavors and i hope i helped.

If your only goal is to make money then avoiding sampling (if the sample can be identified at least) might be a good idea. Clearing samples is pretty expensive and trying to sell your track without clearing the containing samples is illegal.

However, making music with samples can give you very different results. If you just care about getting a certain sound, and less about making money, sample! (assuming you can't get that sound otherwise)

unless you make a sampled beat.. and IT BLOWS UP.. which likely it won't... ppl won't be knocking on your door suing you for sampling

unless you make a sampled beat.. and IT BLOWS UP.. which likely it won't... ppl won't be knocking on your door suing you for sampling
Yeah, I don't understand why beginners are so paranoid about sampling. If someone's paying enough attention to your music to feel like they need to sue, then career-wise, you're probably in a better position to deal with getting "sued" if your track "accidentally" becomes a hit. Secondly, its not the producer's responsibility to clear samples for sold tracks-once the artist and label has committed to the track, its on them. Your responsibility as a producer is to state the samples you used upfront-due diligence through documentation, dumb niggas. You will most likely lose some publishing, but we've had damn near 25 years of niggas samplin' since the Biz Markie case, yet, these new dumb niggas gotta make a moral dilemma out of chopping up a 4 second sampling. News Flash: Nobody is paying that much attention to a soundclick/youtube nigga hocking $70 beats for a lawsuit to matter. Make music, sample your ass off and let the artist deal with the rest after the sale is done. SMGDH.

Last edited:
if you wanna sample just sample don't worry about all that other stuff if it comes down to clearing samples and all that if your in the situation to pay for clearence why not just pay to replay the sample which is cheaper and now you own everything on the record???

Yeah, I don't understand why beginners are so paranoid about sampling. If someone's paying enough attention to your music to feel like they need to sue, then career-wise, you're probably in a better position to deal with getting "sued" if your track "accidentally" becomes a hit. Secondly, its not the producer's responsibility to clear samples for sold tracks-once the artist and label has committed to the track, its on them. Your responsibility as a producer is to state the samples you used upfront-due diligence through documentation, dumb niggas. You will most likely lose some publishing, but we've had damn near 25 years of niggas samplin' since the Biz Markie case, yet, these new dumb niggas gotta make a moral dilemma out of chopping up a 4 second sampling. News Flash: Nobody is paying that much attention to a soundclick/youtube nigga hocking $70 beats for a lawsuit to matter. Make music, sample your ass off and let the artist deal with the rest after the sale is done. SMGDH.

Couldn't agree more.Cats have 5 beats and 10 people have heard them and they're worried about being sued.LMAO!GTFOH!

Peace

Last edited:
Back