Why do you people praise these type of producers?

Dude sampling has been around even before hiphop was here...Kanye and Dilla has mastered a level of sampling that's hard to achieve by piecing together unique samples from drums to melodies...Sampling is hard if you don't have a sense for it, also dont be fooled just because a artist samples doesn't mean they can't play a instrument, it's a choice. Sampling helps hiphop be more unique IMO.

I think a huge misconception when it comes to music making is that if you're not doing something yourself you are being lazy or something. But tbh after making music for a few years now I had that mentality to begin with like "I have to make everything myself". If you think about it, you aren't REALLY ever making anything yourself. You are using samples for everything. I think sampling is extremely beneficial in the sense of creativity. You should never stifle creativity because you think you're doing something wrong. You just limit yourself in your own possibilities

^^^Agreed. The sounds in the MPC(and style/swing), Motif, Logic, Nexus, and Korg Triton have been "raped' more than any single musical compositon ever recorded and then sampled.

I respect producers the most who combine sampling with own arranging.
Guys like Pete Rock, Dilla always usually add they own basslines. Sometimes even keys.

Why do you people glorify music producers such as Alchemist, Kanye, Madlib, 9th Wonder, RZA, J Dilla and call them musical geniuses when all they do is take other peoples work and chop them up? They don't even add anything! Tell me what is musical about chopping up other peoples work and not even knowing how to play a piano or drums? These guys don't even add their own work to it! Untalented people. That's why hip hop is dying because you guys let these untalented bastards get called musical geniuses. I used to think that these guys were great because I thought they actually PLAYED the instruments and the music they recorded but nooo they take it from OTHER people and then they call themselves chopping it... just terrible and uncreative. you guys either dumb or bandwaggoning

Wow...this is such an asinine post. LMAO So hip hop is "dying" because of sampling?? How do you think hip hop started?? Trust me, it was not from composed beats...it was from MC's laying verses on the breaks in songs that were already created.

You say "I used to think that these guys were great because I thought they actually PLAYED the instruments". So you mean the producer was actually talented enough to manipulate the song so much from the original that you didn't even know it was sampled?? Sorry to tell you but that IS being creative. I seriously doubt the song you thought was a hit when it was an original now sounds wack to you after you found out it was sampled.

J Dilla often played in his own baselines... One of the reasons I went for bass lessons myself for nearly a year (after being a self taught guitarist of 15 years)... He was a better player than me...

So being a multi instrumentalist (I play four instruments) as well as knowing how to use drum machines and use computer based music programs,recording, engineering and such, music itself is a multi faceted thing, its math, feeling, creativity, and many many more things that go into it, and make up the fabric of writing and making music. When it comes to sampling, there are many different ways to sample, loops, different sized measures, kick to snare, ghosting (my favorite, where a singer or artist is taking a breath before they sing or the like and you just catch the sound of whoever it is taking a breath) reversing samples, layering samples and so on. But don't think for one minute that sampling does not take any skill, talent, or creativity. A lot of the greats know bpm by heart (beats per minute) and can listen to a song and tell you the speed, down to just a couple ticks. I myself have gotten pretty good at knowing what the root note of a song that i want to sample is and if I am going to layer it or match it up with another song, if the songs root notes are the same or very close. Yes, when people sample, they are taking something that another artist(s) band, group made, wrote,sang,and put their heart and soul into and re arrange it, cut it up, flip it to make it their own because the person who is choosing to do so heard something that they really liked, and wanted to put new life into it and give it new life. Have you heard imitation is the most sincere form of flattery? (it's kind of a stretch in this sense) but it is very true in music of all genres and throughout history. It is stealing, and I am still to this day on the fence about it because how would I feel if someone just took my shit and did whatever they wanted to it? But I love to make music, write, arrange and yes, make the hottest beats, instrumentals, tracks that I can, and I LOVE the art of sampling! I guess what I'm trying to get to is, if you have not ever done it, then it is hard to judge someone who does. But music of all genres takes talent on different levels, if you produce "edm" or hip-hop or if you play an instrument and record to a reel to reel. Different areas have different specialties and require a certain set of skills and a certain level of vision.

Last edited:
Wow...this is such an asinine post. LMAO So hip hop is "dying" because of sampling?? How do you think hip hop started?? Trust me, it was not from composed beats...it was from MC's laying verses on the breaks in songs that were already created.

You say "I used to think that these guys were great because I thought they actually PLAYED the instruments". So you mean the producer was actually talented enough to manipulate the song so much from the original that you didn't even know it was sampled?? Sorry to tell you but that IS being creative. I seriously doubt the song you thought was a hit when it was an original now sounds wack to you after you found out it was sampled.

Finally someone said it.

THANK YOU SIR.

Y'all people don't realize the origins of hip hop and what this culture is all about.

You can't have hip hop music without sampling fam.

Where you think hip hop came from? Please get educated OP before disrespecting the greats, as well as disrespecting the deceased.

RIP JAY DEE.

Let the haters hate.

Sampling is an art form. It is passion (much like playing a piano).

Don't diss our culture and question the motives behind the artists'. They're (they've being generalized, obvi) obviously doing something right.

Furthermore, you don't see any FP members dissin' on your stance..

cool out lol

I know this is pretty old, but thanks for posting this. SO sick of seeing people disrespect Dilla and other amazing producers.

Its two-fold. Looping a bar or two sure is easy. but thats lazy. When guys like Pete Rock/Dilla/Lord Finesse would take different things from records and put them together to create something completely new, thats creative

Back