Who is supposed to clear the sample?

wavygrvy

Who is supposed to clear the sample? The Artist with the label? or the Producer? I am an independent producer no label behind me. I sell my beats online. Can I sell my sampled beats? or give them away for free? Who is supposed to clear the sample?

Usually the Artist who is going to use the beat for commercial purposes. For example if Nas wanted to buy a beat from you, he would usually pay you something straight-up. Then he would have his people deal with clearing the sample and paying whatever extra he thought was within reason. Alternatively and less often, sometimes artists will not pay until they have first cleared the sample.

Technically speaking, the producer SHOULD be the one clearing the sample if he is selling it, but it just doesn't happen that way unless it's a big-name producer who is releasing a project of his own.

oh ok cool thanks, honestly i think the artist should clear the sample they are the ones making the most money and getting the most credit, why would the producer have to clear it? we get chumped off the most

Yeah, I've sold few beats for artists in major label and they have always cleared the sample (Actually I don't know if they did but they always asked me what i sampled and said they would take care of it if nesessary). But it also depends, see i live in Finland and we have to clear every Finnish song we sample or we might get in trouble. ....Some less-known midget flute orchestra -song from sweden would'nt be much of an issue, so no one would bother to clear that around here.

i forgot to ask, if i use a sample and give that beat away for free is that ok? djs do that with remixes all the time

there are some instances where you can still get in trouble for not clearing the sample. even if you gave the beat away and didn't make any money, who's to say that an artist might not wanna make money off of it. but just to make sure you're covered, make a contract for leasing your beats for no charge and put in the contract that the artist is responsible for clearing the sample if used for commercial purposes.

I've heard some producers will sell a beat containing a sample, but in their contract terms they state that they 'are being paid for the time and effort into making the beat' or something like that.... But I don't know... That's why I try to avoid sampling.

I dont understand what you mean by I will get in trouble for not clearing a sample for a free beat. DJ's play remixed songs from all sorts of artists all the time and make money, hows that ok but not what I want to do?

there are some instances where you can still get in trouble for not clearing the sample. even if you gave the beat away and didn't make any money, who's to say that an artist might not wanna make money off of it. but just to make sure you're covered, make a contract for leasing your beats for no charge and put in the contract that the artist is responsible for clearing the sample if used for commercial purposes.

Last edited:
Back