Who E-Digs?

K

KHz Wilkerson

i can't afford vinyl anymore. its a recession. so i'm on youtube snatchin shit. who else does this?

I have vinyls. But they're at my cousin's house because of who's they are and all that. So I e-dig when I'm at my house. Usually on the weekends when I'm over at my cousins, I dig and that

I don't e dig on youtube, the quality is poor. If i come across a sample on there i will look for the LP it was released on. Try searching for blogs with LP's, OST's ect you will find a lot more on there than youtube. I try to download 100 in the week and go through them on the weekend, find my samples and chop them ready for the new week.

I don't eDig. If I hear something and I want it, I might go on Google and see if I can find a MP3 of it, but I don't think of that as digging.

Gotta use all the roads. I dig vinyl (my favorite way to dig) cds, iTunes, youtube. Do whatever you can to find that gem. I got the sample in this track from youtube

Cake Route - YouTube

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

But if you digging off youtube try to buy mp3 atleast for a better quality version.

Last edited:
But if you're away from a record player and you wanna dig sometimes you gotta go online to dig not saying that you have to use that sample off the web but research the sample and then buy a vinyl online. Digging goes beyond just browsing through records.

I have tons of vinyl, but I sometimes look on the net for stuff because some jazz stuff is expensive and hard to find. I get it and listen to it. If I feel like sampling it, I will, but not often do I sample the mp3 stuff.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I'd rather not sample than E-Dig most of the fun is the adventure.

Kev, sometimes finding a working link is an adventure within itself. Lol. But also, looking for one thing can lead you to another thing (different album, different artist in the same genre, different genre,etc...).

I always E-Dig. What works for me is just searching a sample I already really like, and then I just go through the suggested videos on the side to discover new samples.

Kev, sometimes finding a working link is an adventure within itself. Lol. But also, looking for one thing can lead you to another thing (different album, different artist in the same genre, different genre,etc...).
I know its just like discovering new music on YouTube I find all sorts of cool shit on YouTube just clicking links in the side bar but for me its not the same as going to the record store when digging. I like the feeling of the actual dig that inspires me itself. I've E-Dug before but most of the time I just put it to the side or do something else while its downloading and never get to it. When I have a stack of records in front of me I feel like I have to listen to it.

I sold my vinyl collection because I would much rather e-dig. Sampling from vinyl takes so long that by the time you sit down in your DAW with your sample, your creative juices have stopped flowing.

Each person's workflow is different. If you have mp3s and use a software daw as your primart piece, its already there. If you use hardware, sampling vinyl in is easier than hooking to computer etc. The solution, do both, mp3s and vinyl. I dont get stuff off youtube though unless its movie clips.

FYI, sampling from a youtube stream isn't gonna be any worse quality than sampling from vinyl into an old sampler like what's found on an old MPC.

For space people were sampling at like 11khz 8-bit in mono on those things for tons of classic hip hop records. That's where alot of the "grit" that people confuse with "analog sound' comes from.

To answer the question, I sample from whatever's there. Vinyl, CDs, DVDs, Netflix/Hulu, Youtube, Pandora, Spotify, old sessions recorded right here in my studio, videos recroded on my iphone, anywhere.

i'll mess with flacs and wavs but there's not a huge variety available in these formats so it's mostly vinyl, you can get records for a dollar anyway.

i'll mess with flacs and wavs but there's not a huge variety available in these formats so it's mostly vinyl, you can get records for a dollar anyway.

Not all records are a $1 plus not everyone has access to records because records stores arent in abundance anymore. I only know of one in my area and they are $3-$5 a pop!

Not all records are a $1 plus not everyone has access to records because records stores arent in abundance anymore. I only know of one in my area and they are $3-$5 a pop!
damn there are like 10 in a 30 mile radius of my house. Granted one in my area closed earlier this year but I have a lot and a few of them are priced that way.

Im constantly e-digging but i generally try to find a higher quality version then from youtube. Youtube is a great place to search for samples but the quality is generally poor. On the other hand if I am gonna distort and tweak a sample a lot then youtube is fine because the lower quality doesnt really matter.

When Im on the road I mess around with Youtube. Usually have to play out basslines instead of filtering tho. Quality of the lowends is low.

FYI, sampling from a youtube stream isn't gonna be any worse quality than sampling from vinyl into an old sampler like what's found on an old MPC.

For space people were sampling at like 11khz 8-bit in mono on those things for tons of classic hip hop records. That's where alot of the "grit" that people confuse with "analog sound' comes from.

To answer the question, I sample from whatever's there. Vinyl, CDs, DVDs, Netflix/Hulu, Youtube, Pandora, Spotify, old sessions recorded right here in my studio, videos recroded on my iphone, anywhere.

Def on that spotify shit. My interface lets me route my output into my DAW easily so I can have the relatively good quality samples compared to Youtube and the workflow is similar to what it was on my MPC(but all in the box).

And I def E-dig. I can have any song/performance/soundbite that exists on the world wide web with a few clicks, any producer would be stupid to ignore this.

I have mad respect for the ways of the past but for the modern age there are simply better ways to produce results of the same quality. You can always filter/bitcrush and alot of old records on YouTube were sampled from vinyl anyways, so you still get that vinyl crackle LOL

I used vinyl in the first 3 years. the last 4 years i only sample mp3's but im planning to hook up my turntables/mixer again in the future to get rare samples from vinyl.
I can recommend Soulseek to any music collector. You can find most good records on there and share your collection of course.

Last edited:
Back