Where Do You Find Your Samples?

zZzwalkr

I have used a few samples in my beats, but I don't think they're that good of samples in the first place. I have just been using Youtube and other rapper's sample artists to sample things. Is there a special place to find samples for your beats, and if so, where should I go to find samples?

youtube is no different then finding samples anywhere else, you gotta dig to find the good stuff. I usually sample off of vinyl but youtube, blogs, and anything else is fair game.

Sup Artemis Smith. Honestly, I dont think there is really a "where do you find your samples". If they're good or not is entirely up to you. It's kind of what you make the sample ya know? Now dont get me wrong they're are some samples out there that are really hard to work with. Honestly you can find samples of anything. That's why I have a little notebook that I carry around when I'm out and about. If I hear something playing in a store I will hunt down the manager and ask him what CD is playing through the store or if I hear someone while im driving and stop at the light, I will ask that person what they are listening to and write it down. You just have to always keep your ears open and you'll hear something. Personally I think the best kind of sampling is taking small bits and pieces of songs, little short melodies or the shortest sounds and combining thing to make the big picture. I hope this helped a little bit. I'm a beginner producer as well so sorry if I make no sense. hahaha.

Later bro & Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
try listening to some soul, funk, blues, jazz or bossa nova artists. those genres are my first choice when i'm looking to find samples.

If your looking for vinyl check out goodwill. Also, search for local record stores in your area they'll probably have some good stuff. If your looking for a specific record check out discogs.com.

My stuff is sample based. I started with my own music collection which was around a 130Gb of mp3's at the time before I realised I could rip from YouTube.
YouTube was definitely a game changer. With a bit of research you'll come across a dozen or so channels there that you'll visit regularly as part of your digging process.
These Youtube channels are essentially record stores that give you free music.
I still use YouTube but not nearly as often as I did since picking up a cheap-ass turntable.
Sampling from vinyl is just nicer. And shopping for vinyl in my city; although more expensive has brought its own perks... Met a few cool people locally and done some stuff with them I wouldn't have known about without the introductions from the guy who runs the shop.
Sound quality is also better; as are my process and sample selection skills (the latter might be a bit down to practice... Maybe...).
i definitely recommend getting a turntable though... Bought mine used for 12 quid and it's shit. Still the best 12 quid I ever spent though!

You can search around for FLACs or WAVs version of the artist you enjoy, you can purchase any digital lossless album for not much.
You can also sample from vinyl, which i find to be much more amusing and for me, nothing beats the sound of an old vinyl.

Last edited:
Sometimes i look for samples on youtube and sometimes i get my fingers dirty at the dollar bins. I don't think it matters where you find your samples at. Ofcourse, it "feels better" sampling vinyl after spending some time and money for it.

what everyone said, but specially Tetsuox - I'm crazy mad at bugging people for the names of songs - in shops, at peoples homes, on the bus. and I used to shazam everything back when it was text 2580 hehe... and then hearing stuff on tv and finding out what it was. and then I sample off old cds and any mp3s i can find. youtubes okay, but the sound quality used sound youtubey - its got much better now, but theres nothing better than finding an old record or even dusty cd and knowing its not on youtube.

this track i made uses 9 samples from way different places - film sound tracks, old records, some snippets from old tv theme tunes, random mp3s and some old cds... any sound you have electronically can be sampled... you just gotta cut filter, speed up slowdown to fit. and for most tracks that I build with many many samples, I try maybe 20 potential samples before I find one that goes. and even that might not cut it when I sequence. the track I just posted, I tried maybe 100 samples for different bits (diff drums, bass, differnt everything) and all of them had to be played around with and manipulated just to find out they don't "work"... it takes hella loada time, but its so fun...

Back