when you sample a kick from a break...

quasilib

what do you usually do to clean it up? it seems like different people do different things, and i always see EQ mentioned, but when i toy around with it, it doesn't seem to help get rid of that background/mechnical noise...maybe i'm just new to EQ/compression

also, if you're cutting out a kick or snare, do you usually leave some space before and after the hit? i'm a little confused with that, it seems like different people do different things

the key is first of all to cut the kick the way you want it, leave a little bit of air before and as much as possible (usually) after the hit, or else it would sound choppy! EQ is pretty important depending on what sound your after, get used to the EQ and experiment with it and after you've learned it, you can pretty much make your kick sound exactly the way you want it to!

can i ask what your using? i use an mpc so it would be a different workflow to fl or somthing.

yeah you want to capture a bit of the run up to the kick, microseconds basicly. imagine the beater hitting the drum skin. you want to capture that "thwack" if you dont the kick "pops" instead of knocks and wont hit as hard. but they are more useful for more mellow tracks becuase they

then e.q. around the 100 mark and maybe a filter and some very light reverb if it is still choppy.

over the past few years it's more accepted to layer/stack the kick with another kick...or the same kick sound but pitch it up one and down on the other equally so you get a fatter sound without spoiling it with a 808 or another kick that might distort at the bass end.

on the snare end....REVERB + E.Q. my personal feel is loads of reverb. especially on snappy/choopy snares so you create your own tail. i sometimes layer mine with a pitched up RX11 snare or a clap (depends on the mood) to make it sound crisper

hi-hats my way i would sample 2hits on the same pad. so it goes "tet-tet" so it gives you a bit of swing and a bit more air. just filter all the low end and some reverb. an interesting way of getting a good shaker/percussion sounds is by using a snare/clap/tambo pitch it up 30+ use a light attack to not make it click and some reverb.

these are my ways of choopping and preparing drums. dunno if this would help or not.

i just read that whole post and noticed my inglysh is apaulling forgive me.

Last edited:
Clean your records. Get one of those vinyl cleaning kits at guitar center for $20 that will eliminate most of the sound on the record

Back