When do you dig for the sample?

Wilby89

When making a sampled beat and you do the drums first do you make a drum pattern at a certain tempo then dig in the crates and try and find something that sounds good at the same tempo or find the sample first and make a drum pattern at the same tempo as the sample?

A samples tempo can be changed as well as the drums tempo can be changed, I think it's pretty situational haha.

I usually don't start the drums until after I've found the sample I want to use. Sometimes I will do a drum pattern and then start going through records but not often.

I usually chop the sample up and then figure out how I'm going to sequence it. Then I program drums, and then the chops and then bassline, and additional instruments.

Get the sample tempo right first, then chop it up, add drums, then after i finish it all Ill filter out the bassline and mix everything.

depends on what i feel at the time. i might have an idea for the drums first or an idea for the kind of sample i'm looking for. it's never the same every time.

I feel like my best stuff has always always started with the drums first. The reason here being that when I start with drums, I've usually found an awesome break and either chopped it up and rearranged or just looped it in order to get ideas flowing about my melody sample (then go back and match the drums to whatever sequence I have going). In my opinion, drums are the most important part of a beat so when I'm starting out with a really nice break it usually inspires me to find a better sample and at the same time a sample that really matches well with the feel of the drums.

I mean I've sat on a drum pattern I've made from a break for weeks just trying sample after sample until I was finally satisfied, even when alot of the samples I passed up on were really nice. If I wasn't satisfied, I wasn't going to waste that break on something that wasn't 100% in my mind.

Uncharacteristic most of our goods reviews, this anybody isn't upon your vigorousness or nutrition. It's in your distinctive safety.

i usually have a sample in mind. I start looking for drum sounds that i like and then i chop up the sample. Then put it all together. sometimes the drums dont fit the sample but it isnt to hard to find different ones.

Back