When do you consider a record a sucess or failure?

cntspitfiya

I just went through an entire record that was absolutely terrible, but there is one 2 bar segment in one song that sounded pretty inspired. As far as I can tell, it has never been flipped before.

That + one open drumbreak made this record a success. When do you consider a record a success or failure?

personally i find if i come away from listening to it and go over something that was there or relate or get a vibe from any part of it its served its purpose and is somewhat successful. The idea of success itself i guess is to achieve a goal. An artist or producers goal is to have their music listened to and enjoyed no matter if its a whole or just parts. That being said success or failure is an opinion

Kind of agree with Matt, I treasure all my vinyl, and I often come back to something I thought was crap years later and find something.

I find something I can use in every record but i go through records listening for 1 shots so..

there will always be failure and success records, it just depends on who's listening and how they're listening.. if you're spinning through a records looking for something specific and it doesn't come up, there will most likely always be something different from what you searching that might inspire someone to standby what they were working at and explore this new segment -so I say every record is a success, they're all for different times and projects tho.

Back